Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Squeeze - Cradle To The Grave (2015)


I'm always up for a new Squeeze CD even though their track record lately hasn't been great. This is somewhat of a return to form for Difford & Tilbrook and I'm glad I picked it up as it's their best album since 1991's Play.

I can't put it any better than Lee Zimmerman from Blurt:
Suffice it to say those looking for an album on the order of early Squeeze classics like Argybargy or East Side Story won’t be disappointed. Packed with winsome melodies, joy and jubilation (made all the more expressive by titles like “Nirvana,” “Beautiful Game,” “Sunny” and the all too appropriate “Top of the Form”), Cradle to the Grave is a stunning example of the brilliance Difford and Tilbrook seemingly command at their fingertips.
What he said. Evidently, the music was written for a BBC series about life in the '70s, Cradle to Grave. Maybe I'll check that out and see how the songs tie into the show. My only complaint is that that the album isn't very consistent, but neither was East Side Story so what do I know?

What's with shirtless male bodybuilders on their album covers? No judgment, just asking if there's a reason or connection.


Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: I like the title track, Nirvana, Only 15, Top of the Form, Sunny, and Everything. Not a fan of Beautiful Game or Haywire, but even they have their moments.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Don't get me started. I pre-ordered the "Limited Edition" of this CD directly from the group's website. I think the edition contained bonus tracks or was autographed or both or something not really worth $25 but I was willing to pay for anyway. Two weeks later, I received this email:


What the hell? Just print up some more CDs, Matt! That's no way to treat someone who has been a fan of the group for over 30 years. I was so upset, I put the group in time-out and waited 4 months to order this regular copy. Yeah, I know I can stream/purchase files of the bonus tracks other places, but it's just not the same, is it? Especially when your blog is about CDs. Rant over. Has nothing to do with the high quality of the album itself. Carry on.

Previously revisited for the blog:
The Complete BBC Sessions (2008)
Domino (1998)
Ridiculous (1995)
Some Fantastic Place (1993)
Play (1991)
Frank (1989)
Babylon and On (1987)
Cosi Fan Tutti Frutti (1985)
Difford & Tilbrook (1984)
Singles: 45's and Under (1982)
Sweets From A Stranger (1982) and 2008 reissue
East Side Story (1981)
Argybargy (1980) - 1987 reissue and 2008 Deluxe Edition
Cool For Cats (1979)
U.K. Squeeze (1978)

1 comment:

  1. A review and a rant?
    Double bonus!

    Been waiting months for this review. The rant explains the delay.

    ReplyDelete