Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, October 28, 2023

Various Artists - Mellow Rock Hits Of The '70s: Ventura Highway (1997)


A quality compilation with sub-par cover art that I quickly snatched from a used bin for the following three reasons:
  1. Mellow Rock Hits
  2. '70s
  3. 1990's Rhino compilation
I'd never heard of the Mellow Rock Hits Of The '70s series until I came across this disc and yes I've already ordered the other two. The usual suspects make an appearance but then there's three tracks that are odd outliers in my book.


Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks (liner notes promote that these are the full album versions), with chart peaks from the Billboard Hot 100 and Adult Contemporary charts plus links to previous appearances on this blog:

SongArtist
Year
Pop
AC
Prev.
Diamond GirlSeals & Crofts1973641
Ventura HighwayAmerica197283
AmiePure Prairie League 197527201
Uncle John's BandGrateful Dead 197069
1
Black WaterThe Doobie Brothers 19751381, 2
Sara SmileDaryl Hall & John Oates 19764181, 2, 3
Love Will Find A WayPablo Cruise 19786281
Couldn't Get It RightClimax Blues Band 19773431, 2
Still The OneOrleans 19765331
Baby Come BackPlayer 19771201, 2
Fly Like An EagleSteve Miller Band 19772381, 2
Nights Are Forever Without YouEngland Dan & John Ford Coley 1976106
IfBread 1971411
A Little Bit MoreDr. Hook 19761115
You Better Think TwicePoco 197072

Dixie ChickenLittle Feat 1973



Some thoughts on the five tracks that were new to my CD shelves:
  • Ventura Highway: I was not much of a fan of this group back in the '70s - I wanted to dance and Horse With No Name or Tin Man just didn't do it for me. However, I now dig many of their tunes, including this one. From the opening guitar hook to the chorus harmonies, it's solid. I'll confess I didn't know the song title for decades.
  • Nights Are Forever Without You: one of my earliest (legal) music downloads from the iTunes Store was a 5 track EP from this duo.
    It's still available and will run you $3.99 today but I digress. This song was included in that download so I thought I had it already but that should show you that I've liked the thing for a long time now. We're treated to a country-tinged verse while the chorus rocks a little bit.
  • A Little Bit More: I was ten years old when this was popular and I didn't understand the lyrics at all. Still, it's smooth enough music with string pads, noodling guitar, and calming harmonies.
  • You Better Think Twice: Released in 1970 but obviously still in the '60s as far as sound is concerned. This one's a little too country and the vocal harmonies are too similar to CSN for my tastes.
  • Dixie Chicken: This band's combination of NOLA soul, country rock, and roadhouse blues is right up my alley and catchy as hell. Sidenote: there's a famous joint in College Station called the Dixie Chicken ("The Chicken," for short), but even though I visited my sons in that town for 8 years, we never went there.

The three outliers? Well, to my ears, they're Uncle John's Band, You Better Think Twice, and Dixie Chicken. The chart positions bear that out - those three are hardly the "hits" promised in the title. Nevertheless, this compilation is...


Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Nothing specific, just general feel good vibes associated with my carefree childhood in the '70s in the Chihuahuan Desert.

No comments:

Post a Comment