Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, February 9, 2019

Steve Miller Band - Fly Like An Eagle (1976)


Man, does this album ever take me back to the summer of 1976 in a big hurry. I didn't have the album then (to be fair, I didn't own any albums in 1976), but I heard plenty of the 8-tracks blaring out of Camaro and Firebird t-tops when I was walking to and from Burnet Elementary School.

I feel like I've known the hits all my life: Take The Money And Run (peaked at #11 on the Billboard Hot 100), Rock'n Me (#1), and Fly Like An Eagle (#2). I recently heard that the lyrics to Take The Money And Run were originally written for the music of Rock'n Me and vice versa. I wish I could remember where I heard that so I could cite my source.

Press of the time:
  • Billboard: "one of Miller's most appealing albums"
  • Robert Christgau (B+): "borrowed hooks and woozy vocal charm are an irresistible formula."
  • Stereo Review: "The thing about Steve Miller is, his hits drive me up the wall."
  • CashBox: "The entire LP should be an instant success."
  • Rolling Stone: "the most complete and effective musical statement Steve Miller has ever made."

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #3
Peak on CashBox album chart: #4

Tracks: If this album just consisted of the three hit singles it would be good enough for me, but it also includes great tunes like the sublime Wild Mountain Honey and the relaxed blues of Sweet Maree. Even filler like Serenade and Mercury Blues have good grooving riffs for a hot summer afternoon (which is where I want to be as the temperature here at blog headquarters is currently 34°). To be honest, I don't care much for the closing cut, The Window, so I normally move on after 11 tracks.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Too Cool 4 School - 1976 Edition. The single "Fly Like An Eagle" always reminds me of a visit to see some cousins. My cousin didn't have a Firebird, but his silver Z28 did the trick.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Born 2 B Blue (1988)

No comments:

Post a Comment