Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Various Artists - AM Gold Radio Gems (1998)


This is a disc from the Time/Life AM Gold CD series. As seen on TV.

Tracks:
  • Brother Louie - Stories: Peaked at #1 in August 1973
    In the '70s, I was unaware that this was a controversial song about an interracial love affair, so I would just sing along with the lyrics. Still like it.
  • Brandy (You're a Fine Girl) - Looking Glass: Peaked at #1 in August 1972
    I was indifferent to this song. Still am.
  • These Eyes - The Guess Who: Peaked at #6 in May 1969
    I've always liked this song.
  • Sara Smile - Daryl Hall and John Oates: Peaked at #4 in 1976
    Since I didn't like ballads when I was 10, I didn't appreciate this song at the time, but now I can enjoy it. Very soulful.
  • Afternoon Delight - Starland Vocal Band: Peaked at #1 in July 1976
    I had no idea what afternoon delight was back then, so, again, I would just belt out the lyrics. It isn't a very good song, but now I can't listen to it without thinking of the movie Anchorman.
  • One Toke Over The Line - Brewer and Shipley: Peaked at #10 in 1971
    A little too twangy for my tastes.
  • Put Your Hand in the Hand - Ocean: Peaked at #2 in 1971
    As a preacher's kid, I was forced to sing this song at church ad nauseam, so I've got issues with it.
  • Brand New Key - Melanie: Peaked at #1 in December 1971
    I can't stand this singer's voice. The roller skate and key is rather Freudian, no?
  • Seasons in the Sun - Terry Jacks: Peaked at #1 in March 1974
    Harmless, forgettable pop.
  • Wildfire - Michael Martin Murphy: Peaked at #3 in June 1975
    Not my thing, but as young boy, this song frightened me with its haunting, eerie mood and ghostly lyrics.
  • Wedding Bell Blues - The 5th Dimension: Peaked at #1 in November 1969
    Even with the strange choice of having a honky-tonk piano in the background, I have always liked this song. Bill better hurry up and propose.
  • Everybody's Talkin' - Nilsson: Peaked at #6 in 1969.
    from the movie Midnight Cowboy

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: In March, 2008, I drove from Nacogdoches to Odessa (a 9 hour trip down I-20). Since I had lived in Odessa in the '70s, I went to the local Hastings and bought some used '70s CDs so I'd have the appropriate soundtrack for my long drive. This CD was one of those purchased. When I drove through Big Spring, I made sure that Everybody's Talkin' was playing (if you've seen the movie Midnight Cowboy, you understand why I did that).

No comments:

Post a Comment