Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, May 5, 2018

Daryl Hall & John Oates - The Very Best Of (2001)


This first-rate greatest hits CD is a compilation of tunes that pretty much soundtracked my school days from grade school into college, particularly my high school years, 1980-84. I don't know if it's just because I'm in a good mood this morning, but I'm prepared to include this CD in a top ten list of greatest hits compilations (maybe top 5 if they had licensed She's Gone).

In my high school, no matter class, gender, ethnicity, or cultural background, it seemed to me that every student loved Hall & Oates tunes (even contrarians like myself!). And some songs from that time, like I Can't Go For That and One On One, sound as good today as they did when they were released.

Bonus points for chronological sequencing.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #34

Tracks: I'm tempted to skip Adult Education and Family Man because I never cared much for those two, but I'm lapping up the other tunes even though most of them are still standards on oldies/classic/greatest hits stations.


Song Album Year Hot 100
1 Sara Smile Daryl Hall & John Oates 1976 4
2 Rich Girl Bigger Than Both Of Us 1977 1
3 It's a Laugh (single version) Along The Red Ledge 1978 20
4 Wait For Me X-Static 1979 18
5 You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling Voices 1980 12
6 Kiss On My List Voices 1981 1
7 You Make My Dreams Voices 1981 5
8 Private Eyes Private Eyes 1981 1
9 I Can't Go For That (No Can Do) Private Eyes 1981 1
10 Did It In A Minute Private Eyes 1982 9
11 Maneater H2O 1982 1
12 One On One H2O 1983 7
13 Family Man H2O 1983 6
14 Say It Isn't So Rock 'n Soul, Part 1 1983 2
15 Adult Education (Promotional 12") Rock 'n Soul, Part 1 1984 8
16 Out of Touch (single version) Big Bam Boom 1984 1
17 Method of Modern Love Big Bam Boom 1985 5
18 Some Things Are Better Left Unsaid Big Bam Boom 1985 18

That's 18 singles with an average chart peak of somewhere between 6 and 7. Remarkable.

Top 40 omissions from the album's 1976-85 scope: She's Gone (#7, 1976), Do What You Want Be What You Are (#39, 1976), Back Together Again (#28, 1977), How Does It Feel To Be Back (#30, 1980), Your Imagination (#33, 1982), Possession Obsession (#30, 1985), The Way You Do The Things You Do/My Girl (#20, 1985).

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Many, but today I'm thinking of how much fun it was to sing Rich Girl in grade school because it had the B word in it. We were such incorrigible rebels in Mrs. French's 5th grade classroom (in our minds, at least). That's me below in a cropped version of our 5th grade class photo, 1977. Don't trust that kid, I'm warning you.



Previously revisited for the blog:
Original Album Classics (2013)
Big Bam Boom (1984)
Voices (1980)


1 comment:

  1. Sara Smile is my favorite song of theirs. I still have lots of CDs, but I pretty much can find whatever I'm in the mood for on YouTube. Ambitious project you have going on here! You've inspired me to post a song or two on my own blog :)

    ReplyDelete