Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, October 16, 2026

Seal - 6: Commitment (2010)


Note: the CD I listened to was the 'Deluxe Edition' with two bonus tracks and a DVD.

I enjoy Seal's work with producer Trevor Horn plus I usually like what David Foster does at the console, so this Seal-Foster collaboration seemed like something I'd like. And some tracks certainly do resonate with me. Unfortunately, most others do not. It's heavy on ballads, strings, and filler; not enough Crazy for this listener.

Press of the time:
  • Billboard: "Seal delivers a more engaging and satisfying addition to his repertoire"
  • Pop Matters (5 out of 10): "I wasn’t expecting much from 6: Commitment, and in many ways I didn’t get much."
  • The Guardian (★★☆☆☆): "there's too much polished, overwrought, formulaic slop"
  • USA Today (★★★⯪☆): "It's fine adult-contemporary pop"
My thoughts are more aligned to The Guardian and Pop Matters than Billboard and USA Today.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #31

Tracks: This thing is front-loaded with the first three tracks being the best tracks - If I'm Any Closer, Weight Of My Mistakes, and Silence. Then I gradually lose interest until the final track, Big Time.

Bonus Tracks: yet another ballad followed by another version of track 9, You Get Me, this take featuring Buika.

DVD: A 21 minute "Making Of" documentary. I didn't find on YouTube, but I didn't put forth much effort to find it. You're not missing anything. Clearly thrown together as an afterthought, it's simply some studio shots interspersed with a poorly recorded hotel room interview featuring Seal and a messy room service tray.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: When I saw Seal perform in 2023, none of the songs from this album were included in the setlist. He's a helluva performer.

Previously revisited for the blog:
7 (2015)Seal (1994)
Best 1991-2004 (2004)Seal (1991)
IV (2003)Crazy (1990)
Human Being (1998)

No comments:

Post a Comment