
Note: the CD I listened to was the 2000 re-release with a bonus track.
Even though Get Here was one of the first CDs I ever purchased, I never went into Russell's back catalog. That all changed during the COVID-19 pandemic when I discovered the brilliant Love Life album. Then it was suggested that I pick up Two Eyes. While I was at it, I went ahead and picked up a copy of this self-titled debut. It's more good stuff and makes you wonder why its creator needed another nine years to achieve her greatest commercial success. Russell immediately proves herself to be a gifted songwriter in the jazzy pop/R&B/adult contemporary genre. Love Life continues to be my favorite Russell album, but there's some tracks here that certainly hold up against that standard.
Here's the original 1979 album cover. Not sure why they felt the need to "update" it for this CD release.

Press of the time:
- Robert Christgau (B+): "If it's pop you crave, slow down a minute and check this out--eight love songs, all in sensual-to-pert medium tempos, all sweetly hooky."
- DownBeat (★☆☆☆☆): "A very pretty face and a waste of time"
- Billboard: "showcases her smooth and sensible vocal style which recalls Chaka Khan at her more subtle"
- CashBox: "romantic jazz tinged ballads"
- Record World: "a standout effort"
Album chart peaks:
- US Billboard 200: #65
- Billboard R&B: #26
- CashBox: #81
Tracks: The lead track, So Good So Right (#30 pop, #15 R&B, #8 AC), is the single mentioned in the above album advertisement. It's the best cut here although it isn't without some serious competition. Close runners-up include In The Thick Of It, Way Back When, You're Free, and Think It Over. No skips. In fact, why don't you go ahead follow it up with the Love Life and Two Eyes albums in their entirety. That's what I'm gonna do.
Bonus track: For this reissue, the decision was made to tack Russell's 1988 hit, Piano In The Dark (#6 pop, #8 R&B, #3 AC), to the end of this 1979 release. I can't say that it really fits, but it's one of the best songs of the 1980s, so I'll allow it. Most anytime is a good time for that song.
Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None
Previously revisited for the blog:
Get Here (1988)
Two Eyes (1983)
Love Life (1981)

No comments:
Post a Comment