Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Sunday, October 11, 2026

Rick Springfield - Success Hasn't Spoiled Me Yet (1982)


Note: this release was originally purchased as a LP, later replaced by the 1995 CD reissue.

I recently came across a used CD of this mediocre piece of pop rock released by a soap opera heartthrob and couldn't resist. As I wrote a few weeks back: "Sometimes a nostalgic reunion with sorta familiar music from your distant past is exactly what you need." After a few spins of the disc, I've determined I'm good for another 44 years. Have a nice day.

Press of the time:
  • Billboard: "although far from adventurous maintains all the pop and AOR hooks that radio seems to thrive on"
  • CashBox: "Each track here has a hook-heavy persuasion and sharp, bouncy riffs that epitomize the meaning of the word 'pop'"
  • Record World: "energetic pop-rock that's sure to set radio and retail on fire"
  • Rolling Stone (★★⯪☆☆): "he's a seasoned, knowledgeable rock & roller who should be making records better than Success Hasn't Spoiled Me Yet."
  • Stereo Review: "if, as the album title claims, success hasn't spoiled Springfield yet, it has slowed him down a bit."


Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard 200: #2
  • Billboard Rock: #5
  • CashBox: #4
  • Rolling Stone: #7

Tracks:
Title Hot 100 Rock AC
Don't Talk To Strangers 2 11 30
What Kind Of Fool Am I 21

I Get Excited 32

Calling All Girls
4

All of the above tunes are included in the first 7 tracks on the CD. More than likely, I played side one of this album (tracks 1-6 on CD), flipped the LP over, and played Don't Talk To Strangers before moving on to spinning a different album. In other words, I don't recall much of tracks 8-12. Don't Talk To Strangers certainly rises above the other tracks.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I'm 99% sure I originally bought this album in late April/early May 1982 at a record store on the Drag in Austin. My crack staff informs me that Don't Talk To Strangers was sitting at #5 in Billboard's Hot 100 that week. I was a 15 year old high school sophomore at the time and was in Austin for school-related activities (more on that week here). If memory serves, I bought this LP along with my first copy of Revolver and a couple of pinbacks. One of my friends, being much cooler than me, picked up a copy of Sandinista! at the same time and that was my introduction to both The Clash and Central American politics. Then we all piled back on a yellow school bus for the trip back home, said trip most likely involving a group sing-along of an ELO tune.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Working Class Dog (1981)

No comments:

Post a Comment