Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, August 17, 2024

Everything But The Girl - Worldwide (1991)


More soft pop rock from the first part of EBTG's career before they switched gears to electronica and drum-and-bass releases. It is gorgeous - the production and (mostly) sparse arrangements are impeccable. It is a most pleasant album. Unfortunately, it is completely devoid of hooks. I hear it and can't remember what I've heard nor can I audiate any tunes just from reading the titles. But that's ok, they would regroup and release my all-time favorite EBTG album (and one of my favorite albums of the '90s), Amplified Heart. In the duo's native England, the album peaked at #29 and none of the singles cracked the charts. As the album's Wikipedia entry bluntly states: "the least successful EBTG release, both critically and commercially." No wonder it was an inexpensive find in the used bins.

Press of the time:
  • Entertainment Weekly (B): "sometimes sounds like mere wallpaper music, but at least its vibrant colors keep you tuned in"
  • Trouser Press: "Thorn again shines as both singer and lyricist"
  • Billboard: "well-crafted, poignant, midtempo tunes that grow more endearing with repeated listenings."


Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard 200: Did not chart
  • CashBox: #108

Tracks: My favorite tracks are Old Friends, Twin Cities, and One Place. The remainder are pleasant enough; EW called it "wallpaper music" and that's on the mark.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Around the turn of the century, my wife and I spent a lot of time with James and Carla, a couple we met at church. You know the drill - similar ages, similar backgrounds, similar interests, same number of children, etc. This couple were big EBTG fans and once excitedly handed me two of their favorite albums to burn to a CD for my own use: Worldwide and Baby The Stars Shine Bright (1986). Even though both families have moved multiple times and the children have all left home, I still have the disc and we're still in touch with James and Carla. We send text messages often and I got to see them briefly last year. But I sure miss sitting on their back porch on 7th Street, enjoying a few vices and chewing the fat.


Previously revisited for the blog:
Missing (1995)
Amplified Heart (1994)
Acoustic (1992)
The Language Of Life (1990)

No comments:

Post a Comment