Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, August 20, 2024

k.d. lang - Ingénue (1992)


Everything I've read about this CD mentions that it is a departure from lang's usual, but since this is yet my only experience with a k.d. lang album, I can't speak to that. However, I will speak to the fact that this is a fantastic collection of country-tinged adult contemporary tunes and I dig it. lang was blessed with a wonderful instrument and here she demonstrates complete control.

In 1993, Constant Craving was nominated for 3 Grammy Awards (Record of the Year, Song of the Year, and Best Pop Vocal Performance, Female), winning for Best Pop Vocal Performance, Female. The album was nominated for Album of the Year, eventually losing to Eric Clapton's Unplugged album. The following year, the album's second single, Miss Chatelaine, was nominated for Best Pop Vocal Performance, Female, eventually losing to Whitney Houston's mammoth hit, I Will Always Love You. Ingénue was included in the 2005 book 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die.

I've found this album pairs well with Come Away With Me. And apropos of nothing, lang's version of Skylark from the soundtrack of Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil is exquisite.

Press of the time:
  • Rolling Stone (★★★½): "Lang has taken yet another surprising turn with Ingenue but remains the bohemian belle of a most singular ball."
  • Entertainment Weekly (C): "a drastic departure from her previous country-flavored work, not only because it represents a shift in style, but because it shows such a plummet in energy."
  • Musician: "a cozy set of smoldering love ballads."
  • CashBox: "a 10-cut journey...taking the listener on an emotional hayride down love's trail, serenaded by the heartfelt vocals of K.D. Lang"
  • Billboard: "Erstwhile country chanteuse lang moves out of her chosen genre with a vengeance"

Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard 200: #18
  • CashBox: #29
  • CashBox Country: #31

Tracks: My top pick is Constant Craving (#38 pop, #2 AC) which get bonus points for Gary Burton's marimba part. And sequencing it at the end of the album was a stroke of genius. Loved it from the first time I heard it on the radio. Other favorites are Save Me, the bossa-esque The Mind Of Love, the tango-esque Still Thrives This Love, and the sultry Tears Of Love's Recall. But there's nothing to skip here, just enjoy the whole thing.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: My buddy Richard had copy of this CD and I borrowed it and others to burn myself a CD of songs he had on disc that I didn't own. I'm guessing this was 2000 or 2001. I still have that burned disc and even though you didn't ask here's the playlist:
  1. Walking After Midnight - Patsy Cline
  2. Dreaming Of You - Selena
  3. Constant Craving
  4. Tunnel Of Love - Bruce Springsteen
  5. Pride (In The Name Of Love) - U2
  6. She's All I Ever Had - Ricky Martin
  7. All She Wants To Do Is Dance - Don Henley
  8. She's Got A Way - Billy Joel
  9. Twisting By The Pool - Dire Straits
  10. Sunshine Of Your Love - Cream
A mixed bag, for sure, but I enjoy the variety. A couple of decades have since passed and I've added 6 of the 10 to my shelves during that those years.

No comments:

Post a Comment