Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Thursday, August 29, 2024

The Beatles - Free As A Bird (1995)


CD single

I didn't really need this thing as I already own Anthology I, but I simply couldn't pass it up when I saw it in the used bin. Or so I thought. Had I checked the track listing before purchasing, I would have seen that I did not already own tracks 2-4 on this disc. And while I'm usually only interested in hearing alternate takes once or twice, I was intrigued by the remixed Christmas tune when I first heard it.

But first, the "new" Beatles single, Free As A Bird. Here's what I've written previously about the song promoted as the "first new Beatles song in 25 years:"
Free As A Bird turns out to be a really good song (even though there's something about Jeff Lynne's production that just isn't quite right); I put value any song by these guys, no matter how it is pieced together.

ABC televised The Beatles Anthology specials here in the US in six parts between November and December 1995. I watched all of it, of course, being most excited about the premiere of the song and video for Free As A Bird. The video cleverly depicts, from the point of view of a bird in flight, many references to The Beatles' songs.



I still like it after all these years, but I still prefer their earlier output. Despite not getting the greatest reviews (the biggest complaint was that it simply plodded along), the single was awarded the Grammy Award for Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal.

As for the Christmas single, there's not much to it, but it does illustrate that these guys could put a hook anywhere, even into throwaway pieces like this. Like the Anthology series, I'm glad I picked it up but I won't be adding this track to any of my Christmas playlists.

Singles chart peaks:
  • US Billboard Hot 100: #6
  • Billboard Adult Contemporary: #19
  • Billboard Mainstream Rock: #8

Tracks:

Previously revisited for the blog:
Love (2006)The Beatles (1968)
Let It Be... Naked (2003)Magical Mystery Tour (1967)
Anthology 2 (1996)Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
Anthology 1 (1995)Revolver (1966) & (2022)
Live at the Hollywood Bowl (1977)Rubber Soul (1965)
1967-1970 (1973)Help! (1965)
1962-1966 (1973)A Hard Day's Night (1964)
Abbey Road (1969) & (2019)Please Please Me (1963)

No comments:

Post a Comment