Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Sunday, February 24, 2013

The Beatles - 1962-1966 (1973)


Note: this release was originally purchased as an LP, later replaced by a CD. The CD I listened to was the 1993 reissue.

This album, widely known as the Red Album, was the second Beatles album I purchased (the first was 1967-1970, the Blue Album). On the whole, I prefer the group's later music to their early music, but I can't argue with the song selections on this compilation (well, I'd love a few more cuts from Revolver). While the group's early albums had their fair share of cover songs, all 26 tracks here are originals. The CD set was released on two discs at a two disc price, though the music could easily have fit on to a single disc. EMI stated that this was done to match the release of 1967–1970. Whatever, EMI. An obvious money grab, then again, you're in the business to make money. The real reason to own the red and blue compilations is for the singles that weren't included on releases.

CashBox, March 3, 1973, p. 7


Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #3

Tracks: 26 tracks, 63 minutes of Beatles' hits. Here's the breakdown:


Personal Memory Associated with this CD:  This album makes me think of a particular weekend when I was 15 years old. My parents thought that I was old enough to left alone overnight (I was) and apparently trusted me not to drive a car without a driver's license (their mistake). So, on that Sunday morning, I woke up, grabbed the keys to my father's Ford Fairmont, drove to the donut shop, bought some donut holes, drove home, then ate in my bedroom while listening to this album. I also didn't go to church that morning, because that's the kind of teenage rebel I was.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Love (2006)
Anthology 2 (1996)
Anthology 1 (1995)
1967-1970 (1973)
Abbey Road (1969)
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
Rubber Soul (1965)
Help! (1965)
Please Please Me (1963)

No comments:

Post a Comment