Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Beatles - 1967-1970 (1973)


Note: this release was originally purchased as an LP, later replaced by a CD.

The first Beatles album I ever owned. Purchased again as a CD because I didn't have digital versions of non-album tracks (Strawberry Fields Forever, Penny Lane, Hey Jude, etc.) and, let's be honest, pure nostalgia. I'm a little uncomfortable writing about The Beatles for two reasons: 1) pretty much everything has already been written - and written better - by someone else, and 2) I'm afraid I'll gush too much.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #1

Tracks: 28 tracks, 99 minutes of Beatles' greatness. Here's the breakdown:
  • 4 cuts from Sgt. Pepper (Note: no singles were released from the Sgt. Pepper album)
  • 5 cuts from the US version of Magical Mystery Tour
  • 3 cuts from The Beatles (a.k.a. The White Album)
  • 4 cuts from Abbey Road
  • 4 cuts from Let It Be
  • 8 singles/b-sides

CD 1

SongUSUK
Strawberry Fields Forever82
Penny Lane12
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band--
With A Little Help From My Friends--
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds--
A Day In The Life--
All You Need Is Love11
I Am The Walrus56-
Hello, Goodbye11
The Fool On The Hill--
Magical Mystery Tour-2
Lady Madonna41
Hey Jude11
Revolution12-

CD 2

SongUSUK
Back In The USSR--
While My Guitar Gently Weeps--
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da--
Get Back11
Don't Let Me Down35-
The Ballad Of John And Yoko81
Old Brown Shoe--
Here Comes The Sun--
Come Together14
Something34
Octopus's Garden--
Let It Be12
Across The Universe--
The Long And Winding Road1-

To be honest, I don't listen much to CD 2. I could do without The Ballad Of John and Yoko and Old Brown Shoe. Plus, Abbey Road is one of those albums that has to be listened to in its entirety from start to finish.


Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Upon the first listening to this album (I'm guessing summer 1979), I remember being surprised when I heard George Harrison's song Something because I didn't know it was a Beatles song and I thought it had been recently released - it's that timeless.

Also, when I saw Paul McCartney in 2005, he performed Hey Jude near the end of the set and, of course, the four minute ending became a sing-along. Hearing 20,000 people singing that song was incredible. I get goose bumps just remembering it.

No comments:

Post a Comment