Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this middle-aged man as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. CDs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no downloads. And just as CD technology (and the album format itself) becomes obsolete. I'm no music critic, just a music junkie with too much time on my hands.

Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)


"Everybody's born knowing all the Beatles lyrics instinctively. They're passed into the fetus subconsciously along with all the amniotic stuff." - from the 1998 movie, Sliding Doors.

I don't know what I could possibly write about this album that hasn't already been written. It is widely heralded as one of the best albums of all-time. You've heard it; you have your own special relationship with the music. In 2007, Aimee Mann wrote in the NY Times, "When I was 8, I’d never heard anything like it, and I can honestly say that if I live to be 100, I’ll never hear anything like it again." When I started making the transition from LPs to CDs in the mid '80s, this was one of the first 5 CDs I purchased.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #1 (15 consecutive weeks, July 1 - Oct 7, 1967)

Tracks: Yes, please.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: So many. Here's 4:
  1. I became familiar with this album when one of the older sisters of my childhood friend Charlie gave him a copy for his birthday. I remember listening to it at his place in Odessa.
  2. When I was in college, the lyrics to the song She's Leaving Home were included in a poetry anthology I had to purchase for freshman English. I had never thought of those lyrics in that way before.
  3. When I saw Paul McCartney live in Houston in 2005, he performed a few songs from this album, including the reprise to the title song to close out the show.
  4. Just this past summer, I visited the Royal Albert Hall on a trip to London. How could any Beatles fan visit that place and not hear the lyrics "Now they now how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall" from A Day in the Life?

No comments:

Post a Comment