Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Dizzy Gillespie - Ken Burns JAZZ Collection (2000)


I'm not particularly a big fan of bebop, but being a trumpet player, I figured I should be somewhat familiar with Gillespie's music, prompting the purchase of this Gillespie compilation. I would have thought that CDs related to Ken Burns' JAZZ mini-series would have come with extensive liner notes, but unfortunately, that's not the case here. I guess I should read the autobiography, To Be or Not To Bop. Gillespie's playing will never be duplicated. I know I could never duplicate any of his stuff.

Tracks: My favorite tune here is Manteca. Of course, A Night in Tunisia is a jazz standard for good reason, it's a great piece. I prefer Gillespie's Afro-Cuban/Latin-flavored music over his bebop tunes. Unfortunately, there aren't many in this compilation. I don't care for heavy bop tracks like Things to Come.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: purchased in the early 2000's, as I was in a phase where I was taking my trumpet playing/practicing very seriously. That phase has long since passed; I now refer to myself as a "recovering trumpet player."

No comments:

Post a Comment