Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Beatles - Love (2006)


A Beatles mash-up produced for a Cirque du Soleil show. Unlike most mash-ups, which are independent and underground, this is a highly commercial affair and it ends up being nostalgia masquerading as something new. It's a shame, because in the hands of a good masher-upper (like Danger Mouse), this could have been a bold reinvention of the Beatles. The CD is good for a novelty listen, but I'd much rather hear the originals. I guess this would be a good souvenir if you've seen the Cirque du Soleil show, but not recommended otherwise.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #4 (Dec 9, 2006)

Tracks: The only track that comes close to being inventive and creative is track 7, a perfect mix of Drive My Car/The Word/What You're Doing with the horns from Savoy Truffle and the guitar solo from Taxman thrown in for good measure. Too bad that track is under 2 minutes long. I also like the breakdown of Hey Jude and how it segues into Sgt. Pepper.

One of the worse tracks is the playing of Abbey Road's Sun King backwards. The clever title? Gnik Nus, of course. It's also a sequencing mistake not to make A Day In The Life the last tune. After you hear hear that song's legendary ending, you're done - nothing more needs to be said. But here, you get three more tracks.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I was so excited when I purchased this CD at the Nac Wal-Mart. Even though I was 40 years old, I ripped into the packaging as soon as I got in my truck like I was a teenager. The CD was placed into my truck's CD player and I was off. At first I was hopeful, then curious, then intrigued, then disappointed. All this before I left the Wal-Mart parking lot.

1 comment:

  1. I've had this for a while, but I don't think I've ever listened to it. I guess I should give it a spin so that I, too, can be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete