Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Various Artists - Forever Soul, Vol. 1 (1995)


A budget compilation of soul and R&B hits from the '70s.

Tracks:
  • Love Train - The O'Jays (#1 pop, #1 R&B, 1972)
    A fantastic song. I'm upset that I think of Coors Light beer every time I hear it now.
  • Who's That Lady (Part 1 & 2) - The Isley Brothers (#6 pop, #2 R&B, 1973)
    R&B as if it were being played by Santana.
  • Disco Lady - Johnnie Taylor (#1 pop, #1 R&B, 1976)
    Don't be misled by the title, this is too slow to be a disco song. "Shake it, baby, shake it."
  • Family Affair - Sly & The Family Stone (#1 pop, #1 R&B, 1971)
    Sly Stone is a musical genius. According to legend, this song is the first #1 pop hit to use a drum machine.
  • Kiss And Say Goodbye - The Manhattans (#1 pop, #1 R&B, 1976)
    I love this song from the spoken intro to the smooth ever-so-slightly-out-of-tune harmonies. I've listened to it so many times, I can easily sing all the parts.
  • Got To Be Real - Cheryl Lynn (#12 pop, #1 R&B, #11 dance, 1978)
    Impossible to sit still. One of the best songs of the disco era.
  • Ain't No Sunshine - Bill Withers (#3 pop, #6 R&B, 1971)
    Not my favorite Bill Withers song and I rarely listen to it, but I can appreciate its place in R&B history.
  • (Win, Place Or Show) She's A Winner - The Intruders (#12 R&B, 1972)
    Not Gamble & Huff's best work, but it's still enjoyable Philly soul.
  • Time Has Come Today - The Chambers Brothers (#11 pop, 1967)
    What?!? Who put this Sixties psychedelic rock song on this compilation? As they say on Sesame Street: one of these things is not like the others. Oops. I hope someone at Sony didn't get fired.
  • TSOP (The Sound Of Philadelphia) - MFSB Featuring The Three Degrees (#1 pop, #1 soul, 1974)
    Also known as the theme to Soul Train. Philly soul meets disco.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I bought this CD solely for Kiss And Say Goodbye, but the inclusion of Got To Be Real was a nice bonus.

1 comment:

  1. One of the co-writers of Got To Be Real is David Paich of Toto, who also played keyboards, which I knew before I read your blog entry. What I did not know was that Ray Parker Jr. is the guitarist.

    ReplyDelete