Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Sunday, September 18, 2022

Monkey House - Remember The Audio (2022)


Monkey House make pop for people who aren’t afraid of jazz, and vice-versa.

When we went into lockdown in March 2020, I read several articles about how hard times produces great art and that gave me a glimmer of hope during some trying months. Last year, we were treated to Silk Sonic and the new-to-me retro stylings of Tom Shotton. So far this year, this CDP blog has already checked out new releases from Keb' Mo' and Mamas Gun with albums from State Cows and Chris Standring appearing in this space soon. And now add Remember The Audio to that list. Turns out those aforementioned articles were correct. Some great art is starting to emerge.

Remember The Audio is pretty close to a doomsday album and I think the lyrics underscore feelings many of us had during the pandemic, particularly in mid-to-late 2020. It seems band leader/songwriter/vocalist/keyboardist Don Breithaupt handled the pandemic isolation much better than me (I will neither confirm nor deny that I may have spent many daze during the pandemic curled in the fetal position while softly weeping before opening the bar at half-past The Price Is Right.) Lyrics aside, this album is a conglomeration of great melodies, complex harmonies, fantastic arrangements, and perfectly chosen guest artists. Most importantly, while my go-to comparison for this band has always been Steely Dan, I believe this is the album where Monkey House have fully realized their very own unique sound. About a year ago, Breithaupt told me Remember The Audio would be the band's best album yet and dude was right.

The album isn't on Metacritic, but here's some positive blurbs from other media:


 
Tracks:
  1. The Future Is Almost Gone - That song title sets the tone for a post-apocalyptic album, doesn't it? However, it's a peppy shuffle that belies the almost apocalyptic lyrics: "Zero chance for a happy ending" - yikes! Fantastic guitar solo from Drew Zingg, who seems to be channeling Larry Carlton here.
  2. Remember The Audio - Lyrically, my favorite cut on the album. A nostalgic look back at listening to pop/rock/soul music on the car's AM radio. As I've written many times, I'm not much for lyrics, nevertheless I can't help but follow along here. Lots of namechecking and '60s and '70s lyrical allusions which leads to some great rhyming couplets, e.g. "Stagger Lee/Booker T." Over 80% of posts on this blog deal with music from the previous century so this place is a nostalgia site in all but name. And this cut could easily be our theme song. It's also got the chorus hook that sticks in my brain for hours after hearing it. More good stuff from Zingg, too.
  3. New York Owes You Nothing - Musically, my favorite cut on the album. A beautiful ballad that begins with solo piano and slowly builds from there. Nice muted trumpet work throughout from Michael Leonhart.
  4. We Will Meet Again - This thing begins with an infectious eighth-note piano lick and is that a güiro? First time I heard the organ and handclaps on the chorus, I thought this was a great late '70s tribute tune and about that time Vern Dorge rips into a couple of sax solos just like David Sanborn used to back then and what a perfect fit.
  5. Skin In The Game - white-boy funk via a New Orleans filter. I'm reminded of Harry Connick, Jr's '90s output. (Ok, ok - I'll stop with the comparisons with other artists after I said the band had its own sound.) Trombonist Chris Butcher just nails it.
  6. Before You And After - This is the most Steely Dan-ish track on the album. (See what I did there? I said I'd stop with the comparisons and I just couldn't do it.) I love how our forlorn narrator goes from reminding the ex that there were "dreams, champagne, sunshine and rain" to "you're a maritime disaster" in a matter of seconds. 
  7. Major Minor - This relaxed half-time shuffle moves along smoothly from the get-go but the hook in the chorus is what it's all about. There's some clever "major minor" word play here plus a little bonus cleverness if you have a basic understanding of music theory. 
  8. Last Days of Pompeii - A bluesy allegory with a trumpet solo from Randy Brecker. If you're in a good headspace, the lyrics are humorous. If you're not, carry on with your doomsday prep. 
  9. Do Whatcha Gonna Do - a pop song in the traditional sense with a great bridge followed by a sax solo from John Johnson from the legendary Boss Brass.
  10. Let Jenny Be Jenny - I dig the Rhodes part, the syncopated chorus and the Chicago-esque horns (dadgummit, I just can't help myself). Parents can relate to the lyrics - tale as old as time.
  11. Ever Since The World Ended - a great cover of a 1987 Mose Allison tune. Most of it is humorously timely and unfortunately appropriate today, but in typical Moses style, he ends the tune optimistically. Perfect ending to a great album. Note to self: pull out your old Mose Allison vinyl and spin it.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

Previously revisited for the blog:

No comments:

Post a Comment