Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, April 25, 2022

Tom Shotton - Forever Home (2021)


Because I'm old and set in my ways, I don't often get excited about newly released music. However, I've come across some tasty new albums of late. This is one of those. Nevertheless, you kids get off my lawn.

On his bandcamp page, Tom Shotton offers up this description: "South London singing and songwriting multi-instrumentalist who's played with absolutely everyone finally drops solo album after years of threatening to." I've seen the album's '70s pop sound compared to Billy Joel, Rupert Holmes, Steely Dan, also Gilbert O’Sullivan, Christopher Cross, Chicago, and I'm hearing some Barry Manilow and Ben Folds. I think you get the point. But those retro similarities are what attracted me to this hook-filled CD.

After finding a suggestion via social media, I streamed maybe two songs then headed off to bandcamp to order the album. And I've listened to it almost daily for the past two months. This review ends with the phrase "hopefully there will be plenty more goodies to follow." Fingers crossed.

Tracks: 10 tracks in 42 minutes and don't skip any of 'em. Today, my favorites are Hold On To The Best Times, Back Home, Hear The Babies Talking, and Oh Angelina!,  There's also some well-crafted ballads to be had: What Becomes Of The Broken Hearts and the title track.

Now go over to bandcamp post haste and support the artist by purchasing this album in your preferred format.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

No comments:

Post a Comment