Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, December 21, 2019

Mariah Carey - Merry Christmas (Deluxe Anniversary Edition) (1994/2019)


I've had several people born in the late '80s tell me this is their favorite Christmas album, there's a new 25th anniversary two disc edition, it's readily available on the cheap, the single has finally hit #1 on the pop charts, so why not? Let's give this thing a spin.

Billboard, November 12, 1994, p. 88

Sure, everything about this album is derivative, but aren't most Christmas albums, and if you like the tunes, who really cares? Besides, the attention to detail in the arrangements are fantastic - the Spector stuff sounds remarkably like Spector and the gospel-tinged tunes sound awfully authentic (plus I'm a sucker for a Hammond organ). The only misstep is Joy To The World - that backbeat must have seemed like a good idea at the time, but it hasn't aged well. One thing that bothers me (and this applies to most Mariah albums), is unnecessary melisma in a few places. But that's a minor complaint because there's no denying she was blessed with a remarkable instrument.

Bonus points for not shying away from sacred texts/lyrics - a nice balance of Christ and Kringle and I can't believe I just wrote that.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: peaked at #3 in 1994; sitting at #12 as of this writing.


Tracks, original album (Disc 1), ranked in order of preference:
  1. All I Want For Christmas Is You
  2. Jesus Oh What A Wonderful Child
  3. Silent Night
  4. Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
  5. O Holy Night
  6. Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town
  7. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
  8. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
  9. Miss You Most (At Christmastime)
  10. Jesus Born On This Day
  11. Joy To The World

I usually find bonus discs to be hit-or-miss affairs and this one fits that description. Of the 18 tracks offered, including 6 live tracks, 5 remixes, and 3 tracks from Carey's 2010 album Merry Christmas II You, my only must-have picks is the Celebration Mix of Joy To The World (which somewhat redeems the studio version ranked last above), Christmas Time Is In The Air Again, and Lil Snowman. The rest is good enough to listen to once every few years, but not necessary for whatever Xmas playlists you've got workin'.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None, but I'm reminded of at least two other tunes that share the title All I Want For Christmas Is You, one a bluesy ballad by Vince Vance And The Valients (vocals by Lisa Layne), the other a soulful tune by Carla Thomas.

Just for fun, here's some photos I found online of the original 1994 album released on MiniDisc, a format I used at work around the turn of the century, but I don't own any albums on MiniDisc (nor would I have a way of playing them if I did).




Previously revisited for the blog:
Daydream (1995)
Mariah Carey (1990)

No comments:

Post a Comment