Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Thursday, February 23, 2017

Mariah Carey (1990)


Purchased because the lead single, Vision of Love, was so strong and it was love at first listen. That song sounds as good today as it did 27 years ago. It's still the best song of Mariah's career IMO. As far as the rest of the album, I don't remember much about it, so I probably just listened to the first track over and over. Maybe today's listen will job my memory.

Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard Top 200: #1 (11 consecutive weeks, March 2 - May 11, 1991)
  • Billboard R&B: #3

Tracks: OK so now I remember the other singles. In addition to Vision Of Love, there's I Don't Wanna Cry, Someday, and Loves Take Time. All were #1. The rest is decent filler in the vein of Whitney Houston, Taylor Dayne, and/or Michael Bolton. And like those, the real star here is vocal talent, not material. I have to admit remembering and enjoying this more than I thought I would. Nonetheless, I'm going to go back and listen to Vision Of Love a few more times before putting this back on the shelf.

Billboard knew what was going on:

Billboard, June 9, 1990, p. 78A
For those keeping score at home,
June 9, 1990 was my 24th birthday.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Reminds of the year I spent working and living in the Carrollton - Farmers Branch area just NNW of Dallas as my wife attended graduate school. Other albums that remind me of that year:

For more information on the brief life of the CD longbox,
go visit The Legend of the Longbox.

This CD should have appeared on "MY WIFE BOUGHT WHAT?!?" FORTNIGHT* (JULY 1-14, 2016). Oops.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Daydream (1995)

No comments:

Post a Comment