Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, February 24, 2017

Howard Jones - In The Running (1992)


I was unaware that HoJo was releasing albums in the nineties until this arrived at my house in a used lot of CDs. I wasn't the biggest fan back in the '80s but I always enjoyed his stuff on the radio. Looks like this album contains Jones's final Top 40 hit, Lift Me Up (#32 pop, #10 AC). I haven't played it yet - let's give it a spin.



I disagree, Christian, but I'm not much of a lyrics guy anyway. Jones has mellowed his sound, toned down the synths, added guitar, embraced his adult contemporary leanings. Material is good - no different than his earlier stuff, just orchestrated differently. I'm liking it and moving this disc to my truck for further (easy) listening. And I would have enjoyed this in 1992 - reminds me of Simply Red or Nick Heyward. Pleasant surprise.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: My picks on this inaugural listen are Lift Me Up (yes, I recognized it), Fallin' Away, The Voices Are Back, Gun Turned On The World, and One Last Try.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None. I'm sure the printed lyrics in the booklet would have been easy to read in '92, but the print seems to have shrunk over the last quarter-century.

Exclusive CD Longbox photo courtesy of
Dirk Digglinator of the Hambonian Archives.


Previously revisited for the blog:
Dream Into Action (1985)

No comments:

Post a Comment