Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Mariah Carey - Daydream (1995)


"MY WIFE BOUGHT WHAT?!?" FORTNIGHT* (JULY 1-14, 2016)

Easy to see why my wife picked up this pop/R&B-lite album: the lead single/lead track Fantasy samples that great groove from Tom Tom Club's Genius Of Love. My wife isn't the only one who liked it (I do, too), but it hit #1 on the pop, dance, adult top 40, R&B, mainstream top 40, and rhythmic charts. Let's see if the rest of the album measures up. 5 singles were released from the album in the US, so I'm guessing I'll know a lot of this album. Carey has been gifted with an amazing vocal instrument - my only complaint would be her overuse of melisma, a malady that has afflicted many a singer over the past quarter century, most likely in an attempt to be Mariah or Whitney. Someone with as much control over her voice as Mariah should use it more sparingly and more effectively like Aretha. But I'm picking at nits; this is a solid album for what it is. Allmusic, which seemingly uses a 3-to-5 star rating system, gives it 4.5 stars while rateyourmusic has it at 3.17 out of 5. I'm closer to the latter than the former.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #1 (6 non-consecutive weeks)
Peak on Billboard R&B albums chart: #1

Tracks: Overall, I likes. Fantasy is the best track; the cover of Journey's Open Arms is the worst track. Also good are Underneath The Stars, I Am Free, Melt Away, and the Daydream Interlude. Other skippable tracks are Always Be My Baby and Long Ago.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Nope.



*I recently unearthed a CD carry case that my wife used to carry in one or more of our three former minivans.  This month, in the spirit of this blog's mission, I'll be listening to that case's contents.

Blog post #1300

No comments:

Post a Comment