Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, July 4, 2016

Celine Dion - Let's Talk About Love (1997)



"MY WIFE BOUGHT WHAT?!?" FORTNIGHT* (JULY 1-14, 2016)

It's July 4th, so I'm listening to a French Canadian. Go figure.

And there it is, on a sticker that takes up a quarter of the jewel case's front:



Never listened to this before. 15 tracks? 72 minutes? I can power through this. To be honest, I've got nothing against Celine herself - in fact, I actually enjoy her voice when it's in a lower, softer range. It's when she starts caterwauling/screaming overly emotive lyrics that I have to roll my eyes and shut off my ears. But this is one of the world's all-time best selling albums (currently #19 on that list, but who really knows) and has a truckload of Grammy awards, so feel free to ignore me.

Billboard, Nov. 29, 1997, p. 64


I count ten producers listed among the fifteen tracks, so the fact that there's any consistency is amazing. Naturally, I gravitate towards tracks produced by David Foster (particularly To Love You More) but not so much that they'll be ripped to my iTunes library. This is how the Adult Contemporary genre had devolved in the late '90s.

Turns out the album makes an appearance in the 33⅓ book series. Even with that promising title, I can't decide whether or not to give that one a read.



I'll put it this way: if you like My Heart Will Go On, you'll like this album. If a formula makes $$$ you can't blame her (and her label) for sticking with over-produced ballads.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: (#1, one week)

Tracks: Nice to hear the Bee Gees on Immortality and there's little caterwauling in that one. Treat Her Like A Lady actually had me laughing out loud - oh sheesh [wipes tears from face]. Is that a gospel choir on a piece that isn't even remotely gospel? I've heard Tell Him - the duet with Babs - before; the two treat it more like a competition than collaboration. And a Leo Sayer cover stuck between two Corey Hart ballads (both better than Sunglasses At Night"). The token dance track, Just A Little Bit Of Love, makes me want to listen to CeCe Peniston do it better. Believe it or not, the track I most want to skip isn't My Heart Will Go On, it's the duet with Luciano Pavarotti.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I always wondered why an ED drug never licensed My Heart Will Go On for their advertising. Just change the word "heart" to "hard" and you've really got something there. Hi-yooooo! Thank you and good night.




*I recently unearthed a CD carry case that my wife used to carry in one or more of our three former minivans.  This month, in the spirit of this blog's mission, I'll be listening to that case's contents.

No comments:

Post a Comment