Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Tom Tom Club (1981)


Tom Tom Club began life as a side project in 1981, formed by husband-and-wife team Chris Frantz and Tina Weymouth, known for being the drummer and bass player, respectively, of Talking Heads. The band adopted a light, tropical dance style that is evident on this album, which eventually reached gold album sales. Critics rave about this album, so I guess I just don't understand it. Genius Of Love is one of my favorite songs of the '80s, but I don't think this holds up as an album. I don't hate it; I just don't like it much.

Press of the time:


Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #23
Peak on Cash Box album chart: #21

Tracks: Genius Of Love is the best cut. The long version of Genius Of Love is the second-best cut.
Personal Memory Associated with this CD: You haven't fully enjoyed the glory of Genius Of Love until you've seen 50+ people in a country/western club line dancing to it. "Who needs to think when your feet just go?"

1 comment:

  1. It's been awhile since I heard this one all the way through but I remember it as a good listen.
    Cannot say the same for their follow-up albums, though.

    Adding it to Summer Playlist

    ReplyDelete