Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Various Artists - Soul Christmas (2014)


UK Import

Hey! Look what I found for a buck in the clearance bin! Rhino has raided the Atlantic archives and given us this (mostly) Sixities-tastic holiday compilation. I bought this thing during the summer and it's been sitting on my shelf, taunting me for months, but I have a strict "no Christmas music until after Thanksgiving" rule which I started breaking a week ago and I'm surprised I lasted that long.

Not to be confused with this 1991 U.S. Rhino release with the same title, although they do share a few tracks:


Great compilation with almost no overlap with Stax's Christmas in Soulsville (I prefer this to that FWIW). My only complaint is that the booklet doesn't contain any of the detailed liner notes I've come to expect from Rhino. What gives? There's a poor, partial substitute currently available on the Rhino website.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: 19 tracks, 56 minutes. In order of my preference:
  1. Donny Hathaway - This Christmas
  2. Booker T. & The MG's - Winter Wonderland
  3. Otis Redding - Merry Christmas Baby
  4. Clarence Carter - Back Door Santa
  5. The Drifters - White Christmas
  6. King Curtis - What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?
  7. Booker T. & The MG's - Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
  8. The Drifters - The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire)
  9. Brook Benton - Soul Santa
  10. Solomon Burke - Presents For Christmas
  11. Carla Thomas - Gee Whiz, It's Christmas
  12. The Cadillacs - Rudolph Red Nosed Reindeer
  13. Margie Joseph - Christmas Gift
  14. Luther Vandross - May Christmas Bring You Happiness
  15. Percy Sledge - Christmas Wish
  16. Otis Redding & Carla Thomas - New Year's Resolution
  17. William Bell - Every Day Will Be Like A Holiday
  18. Carla Thomas - All I Want For Christmas Is You
  19. The Impressions - Silent Night

My top seven are stone cold classics and while the final few won't be ripped to files, that's a heckuva deal for $1. This CD has been designated my truck's 2016 Christmas CD of Choice and will begin its four week residency there today.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

No comments:

Post a Comment