Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Bob James & David Sanborn - Double Vision (1986)


Note: this release was originally purchased as a LP, later replaced by a CD.

In 1986, I would have purchased an album of David Sanborn playing children's music on a plastic recorder. I had seen him in concert twice by then and considered myself a full-on fan. And Jarreau's on this thing, too? Sign me up! Probably purchased in the late summer of '86, this LP got a lot of playing time during my junior year of college and for more than a full year after its release. Most of these tracks wouldn't have been out of place on Sanborn's Backstreet album and that's fine with me.

Billboard, May 31, 1986, p. 60
"...both players' sizable followings..." That's was certainly me in 1986 and not much has changed since then on that front.

Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard Top 200: #50
  • Billboard Pop CD: #10
  • Billboard Jazz: #1
  • Billboard R&B: #16
  • CashBox Jazz: #1
  • CashBox CD: #11
  • Rolling Stone: #27

Tracks: Let's rank 'em!
  1. Since I Fell For You, a 1945 standard with the aforementioned Al Jarreau on vocals. #1 in a landslide. Peaked at #10 on the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart after appearing on the Moonlighting soundtrack album.
  2. It's You, written by Sanborn.
  3. You Don't Know Me, cover of a 1956 Eddy Arnold tune
  4. Never Enough, written by James & Sanborn.
  5. Maputo, written by bassist Marcus Miller
  6. More Than Friends, written by Miller
  7. Moon Tune, written by James & Sanborn

For more information on the brief life of the CD longbox,
go visit The Legend of the Longbox.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Like many college students, I had a minimum wage manual labor job in the summers. In the summer of '87, my main job was re-glazing and painting window frames. Most days, I was completely alone except for a water jug and my Walkman or radio. I must have sung Since I Fell For You about 100 times that summer. At the top of my lungs. With no complaints from the neighbors. (No record contract offers, either, but that's neither here nor there.)

And I'll probably listen to that track at least three more times before taking this disc out of the tray.

Previously revisited for the blog:
David SanbornBob James
Original Album Series (2010)Playin' Hooky (1997)
Timeagain (2003)Rameau (1984)
Love Songs (1995)Two of a Kind (1982)
The Best of (1994)
Hearsay (1994)
Upfront (1992)
Another Hand (1991)
A Change of Heart (1987)
Straight To The Heart (1984)
Backstreet (1983)
As We Speak (1982)
Voyeur (1981)
Beck & Sanborn (1975)

No comments:

Post a Comment