Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this middle-aged man as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. CDs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no downloads. And just as CD technology (and the album format itself) becomes obsolete. I'm no music critic, just a music junkie with too much time on my hands.

Saturday, January 22, 2011

David Sanborn - The Best of (1994)


GREATEST HITS WEEK (JANUARY 17-23, 2011)

When I bought this in '94, it was one of only 2 Sanborn CDs I owned. I've since replaced many of my LPs and cassettes with CDs, so I have most of the songs included here on other CDs.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: I'm a big fan, so I like most all the tracks here. I prefer his earlier work as his late '80s material (starting with 1987's A Change of Heart album) hasn't aged particularly well, even though he was working with the fabulous Marcus Miller at that time. If skipped any tracks, I might skip Slam. My favorites are A Tear For Crystal and Hideaway.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I've seen Sanborn live twice. Both times he was an opening act. In October 1983, I saw him open for Spyro Gyra at Houston's Jones Hall and in August 1985, I saw him open for Al Jarreau at the Southern Star Amphitheater at the now defunct Astroworld.



No comments:

Post a Comment