Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Thursday, September 27, 2012

David Sanborn - Timeagain (2003)


One of the best saxophonists in smooth jazz makes his debut on Verve Records. This CD features a top notch backing band, including one of my favorite drummers, Steve Gadd, and vibraphonist Mike Manieri, with whom I am familiar because of his participation with Steps Ahead. The disc starts off with 7 covers of standards and pop tunes and ends with 3 originals.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #177 (June 21, 2003)

Tracks: Of the covers, my favorites are Comin' Home Baby and Tequila. I was unfamiliar with Joni Mitchell's Man From Mars, but the cover here is one of the better songs on the album; it wouldn't be out of place on one of Sanborn's 80's albums like Backstreet. I can appreciate that the band is trying to put its mark on these tunes, but I don't particularly care for the arrangements of Harlem Nocturne and Isn't She Lovely. The three original tunes fit in well with Harlem Nocturne vibe, with the best of these three being Little Flower.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD:  None

Previously revisited for the blog:
The Best of (1994)
Upfront (1992)
A Change of Heart (1987)
Backstreet (1983)
As We Speak (1982)
Voyeur (1981)

No comments:

Post a Comment