Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Various Artists - Sedated in the Eighties, No. 3 (1994)


There were 6 volumes in this series from The Right Stuff label - this is the only one I currently own.  Many of these tracks appear elsewhere in my collection and have already made an appearance on this blog, but God help me, I just can't pass up an inexpensive '80s compilation sitting in a used bin.  I wouldn't play this at one of my class reunions, but I enjoy the deep cuts and chart scrapers.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart:  Did not chart

Tracks: 16 tracks, 68 minutes.
  1. A Million Miles Away - The Plimsouls (1983: #82 pop, #11 rock): previously heard on Just Can't Get Enough: New Wave Hits of the '80s, Vol. 10 and Valley Girl: Music From The Soundtrack.
  2. Still in Hollywood - Concrete Blonde (1986): I only know of Concrete Blonde from their boring hit Joey, which got a lot of airplay in Houston when it was released in 1990. This tune was new to me and it reminds me of Romeo Void in a good way. I dig the riffs - this thing is ten times better than Joey.
  3. Blood and Roses - The Smithereens (1986, #14 rock): previously heard on Blown To Smithereens: Best Of The Smithereens.
  4. Cuts You Up - Peter Murphy (1989, #55 pop, #10 rock, #1 modern rock): not bad, just not my thing.
  5. Five Foot One - Iggy Pop (1979): I like the relentless beat here, moved along by bari sax and guitar over a throbbing bass while Iggy rants about all the problems his character has. Coulda been a great 2 minute punk tune, but it goes on for 4½. Liner notes full of misinformation about this one.
  6. Get Started, Start a Fire - Graham Parker (1988, #23 rock): moody verse, but a catchy chorus. I see the adjective "stripped-down" used a lot to describe the sound, but it just doesn't have much energy to these ears. I must be missing something as the critics loved the album it came from, The Mona Lisa's Sister.
  7. Avalon - Roxy Music (1982, #59 rock): previously heard on Avalon. I can't recommend this track enough.
  8. We Care a Lot - Faith No More (1987): previously heard on the Grosse Pointe Blank Soundtrack.
  9. Save It for Later - The English Beat (1982, #58 dance): previously heard on Just Can't Get Enough: New Wave Hits of the '80s,Vol. 9 and The Complete Beat.
  10. Da Da Da - Trio (1982, #33 dance): previously heard on Just Can't Get Enough: New Wave Hits of the '80s, Vol. 7.
  11. I Love a Man in a Uniform - Gang of Four (1982): previously heard on Just Can't Get Enough: New Wave Hits of the '80s, Vol. 5.
  12. Enola Gay - OMD (1980, #34 dance): love the analog synths and wordless chorus. Proof that OMD's music was more interesting (and better) before they had their big US hit. I should really pick up their early '80s releases.
  13. Remember the Nights - The Motels (1983, #36 pop, #12 rock): previously heard on Back 2 Back Hits.
  14. O Superman - Laurie Anderson (1982): previously heard on Just Can't Get Enough: New Wave Hits of the '80s, Vol. 7 and Just Can't Get Enough: New Wave Women.
  15. Our House - Madness (1983, #7 pop, #9 rock, #21 dance): previously heard on Just Can't Get Enough: New Wave Hits of the '80s, Vol. 10 and Ultimate New Wave Party 1998. Note: version included on this compilation is the US 12" Dance Mix.
  16. Mental Hopscotch - Missing Persons (1982): the liner notes state "Missing Persons sum up the best and worst of '80s rock." I wouldn't put this song in either category, but I do appreciate the DIY ethos and the hook-filled chorus.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD:  Recent impulse buy - worth all 3 dollars.

No comments:

Post a Comment