Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, March 16, 2019

Eurythmics - 1984 (For the Love of Big Brother) (1984)


Note: this release was originally purchased as an LP, later replaced by a CD.

I gotta say, this is much better than I remember. Heck, after I recently purchased this CD, I listened to it twice through, consecutively. Dave Stewart reportedly described some tracks as being like "Kraftwerk meets African tribal meets Booker T and the MGs." Yup.

Back in 1984, I should have approached this album as a soundtrack album instead of a Eurythmics synthpop album. But I didn't and neither did many other Eurythmics fans. But now that I'm framing it as a soundtrack album, it's all coming together for me (I'll notify Annie and Dave - I'm sure they'll be thrilled I finally figured it out). The single, Sexcrime (Nineteen Eighty-Four) reached only #81 on the US pop chart, but did much better on the dance chart where it peaked at #2. I liked it, but either RCA or the duo didn't care for it enough to include it on their greatest hits package. Or it may have been a RCA vs. Virgin rights conflict. More on that here.

Press of the time:
  • Billboard: "little here for any beyond the most dedicated Eurythmics fans"
  • CashBox: "an album rich with imagery and sonic textures"
  • Rolling Stone (★★½): "1984's vocal gymnastics and nuanced moodscapes do not justify its high price tag"
  • Stereo Review: "as bleak and gray-toned as the movie the songs were written for."


Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #93
Peak on CashBox album chart: #66

Tracks: I'm sure my opinion was wildly different 35 years ago, but today I'm liking I Did It Just The Same, Sexcrime (Nineteen Eighty-Four), Julia, and Doubleplusgood. I'm not skipping any of them, but I'm always a little tempted to cut the disc off before the final track, Room 101. That room wasn't a pleasant place and let's just say the music is apropos.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Three things immediately come to mind:
  1. I saw the movie at the theater. Not sure if I was with my girlfriend or not (I'm one of those people that doesn't mind going places alone), but I probably had to travel to Dallas to see it. I think it is a fantastic adaptation of the novel and some of John Hurt's best work. I re-watched it about ten years ago and my initial impressions were reinforced. I notice that I can stream it on Amazon Prime. I should watch it again before it gets yanked.
  2. One day in early 1985, I was eating breakfast in the college cafeteria and a student walked by wearing a t-shirt with Big Brother's picture on it.
    I was startled at first, but then I wanted one. Still do.
  3. During my senior year in high school, my English teacher was feeling rather dystopian and had us read not only 1984, but also Brave New World and Animal Farm. Add that to the Mad Max/Road Warrior movies we were watching and I'm surprised any of us were ready to graduate and go out into the real world. Anyway, you know that time on Christmas Day after the gifts are all opened and then the 4+ hours of dinner preparation begin? There was always a definite lull in our house and for many, that was nap time. However, on Christmas Day 1983 during that lull, I finished reading 1984. I remember the date because, at the time, I was mad at myself for not waiting a week and finishing 1984 on January 1, 1984. Ah well. I should clarify that I only read the narrative of the book, which I found fascinating. I didn't read chapter 9, a.k.a. The Theory and Practice of Oligarchical Collectivism by Emmanuel Goldstein. I found it boring and, to my 17 year old way of thinking, it didn't move the plot forward in any way. When we returned to school, we were tested over the novel and I remember being very pleased there were no questions on the test involving chapter 9. Whew.

    I should be a grown-up and re-read the book. The whole book this time.
Previously revisited for the blog:
Greatest Hits (1991)

No comments:

Post a Comment