Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Kamasi Washington - The Epic (2015)


Go big or go home. This sprawling work of classical jazz swings, bops, and soars for three hours on 3 CDs. Part 1 is titled "The Plan," part 2 "The Glorious Tale," and part 3 "The Historic Repetition," but I can't find an explanation or thread between the three parts (there's a few cover tunes on part 3 so maybe that fact explains the title). Washington's writing and, even more so, his arranging are on another plane. For example, the piece I'm listening to as I write these words sound like Ornette Coleman soloing over the wordless vocal choir from the end of Marvin Gaye's Mercy Mercy Me. At times, there's just so much going on here that my mind can't keep up with my ears, but I know it is quality stuff and worth the effort.


Here's some reviews - maybe these people have more of a clue than I:
  • Pitchfork (8.6 rating): "It’s a large and generous canvas, with the feel of a generational intervention."
  • Rolling Stone (★★★½): "To be sure, it’s a jazz album, as much about tradition as expanding it, informed by Coltranes (John and Alice), Miles Davis fusions, bebop and more; yet it’s clearly shaped by crate-digger funk and film scores, hip-hop collage and gospel."
  • NPR: "It seems intentionally to overwhelm, in an immersive way; it's music to be swept up by and revisited after the wave subsides."
The album also appeared on numerous "best of 2015" lists, including Pitchfork (#10), NPR, Mashable (#22), The Guardian (#8), and Rolling Stone (#41). I tried to find a critique of the album in DownBeat magazine, but they chose not to review it. Oops.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart
Peak on the US Billboard Heatseekers chart: #6
Peak on the US Billboard Independent Albums chart: #18
Peak on the US Billboard Jazz Albums chart: #3

Tracks: Of the 6 tracks on Volume 1 - The Plan, my picks are Change of the Guard, the organ-drenched Isabelle, and the poppish final tune, The Rhythm Changes, with vocals by Patrice Quinn.

Volume 2 - The Glorious Tale also contains 6 tracks. Of those, I prefer Leroy And Lanisha, the tranquil Seven Prayers, and The Magnificent 7 (which, naturally, is in 7 and sounds a lot like Snarky Puppy).

As mentioned above, Volume 3 - The Historic Repetition includes several cover tunes: three covers, two originals. Cherokee, a standard from 1938, is re-imagined as an early '70s R&B tune - the arrangement immediately reminded me of Everybody Plays the Fool by The Main Ingredient and I enjoy it immensely. I also like the groove of the opener, Re Run Home, and the final statement, The Message (especially Thundercat's bass solo).

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I was hipped to Washington by my friend Blake back in 2015. He mentioned the album, probably via text, I streamed a bit of it, and immediately ordered a copy.

Blog post #1500

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shoutout! You're welcome. I will revisit this album now with an ear for your faves.

    ReplyDelete