Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, August 28, 2015

Prince & The Revolution - Around The World In A Day (1985)


Note: this release was originally purchased as an LP, later replaced by a CD.

Fans expecting Purple Rain, Part 2 need not apply. Still, I loved from Raspberry Beret from the get-go and bought this psychedelic trip anyway. The album definitely furthered Prince's image as a musical enigma that could write a good song in any genre seemingly on a whim. Prince thought of this as a cohesive album (see pic below) and the critics bought into the lyrics as being "confounding metaphors" - I call shenanigans on both.

Billboard Magazine
May 4, 1985

While I miss the shredding guitar of the previous album (with the exception of the fine solo on Temptation), I will admit to enjoying the new psychedelic funk sound Prince was cultivating, but overall, this thing is hit-or-miss and doesn't stand up as a complete album. And just because you don't understand the lyrics doesn't mean they're deep. Not something I listen to much, but I'm happy when something comes around on an iTunes shuffle.

Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard 200: #1
  • Billboard Pop CD: #3
  • Billboard R&B: #4
  • CashBox: #1
  • CashBox CD: #4
  • Rolling Stone: #1

Tracks:  In addition to Raspberry Beret, I also dig the shuffle of Paisley Park, the funk of Tamborine, and Pop Life. I've always skipped the experimental ramblings of Condition Of The Heart and America (which I preferred when it was called "The Bird" and performed by The Time).

Personal Memory Associated with this CD:  This LP was mainly heard in my dorm room in Berry Hall, this means I didn't buy the album until the fall of 1985, several months after its release. I don't remember ever dubbing it to cassette for Walkman/Markmobile listening. To be honest, I mainly bought this CD for the super sweet tri-fold longbox packaging:





Previously revisited for the blog:
Musicology (2004)
N.E.W.S. (2003)
The Hits 2 (1993)
Music from Purple Rain (1984)

1 comment:

  1. Mark, I very much enjoy this album. I owned it on vinyl first, replaced with a CD in the early 90's. I definitely enjoy it as a whole.

    ReplyDelete