Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Prince - Musicology (2004)


After a long, self-imposed hiatus in which he seemingly made records only for himself, Prince released this back-to-basics CD. This was his first major-label distributed album in five years (and his 30th overall!), released around the time he had an all-hits tour and was inducted into the Rock Hall of Fame. I saw a live TV performance around that time and that led me to buy this record. It's no Purple Rain, but it still has some good tracks. Favorite random lyric from this CD: "Just put ur name on this pre-nup and we can all hit the disco!" For a reason he refuses to articulate, my oldest son can't stand Prince's music. I feel like I've failed as a father.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #3 (May 8, 2004)

Tracks: the title track is the best, bringing back the same funk groove we knew from the late '80s. Also good are Cinnamon Girl, Illusion Coma Pimp & Circumstance, Life 'O' The Party, and What Do U Want Me 2 Do? The track to skip is The Marrying Kind.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: 2004 was a transitional year in my life, so this didn't get the listens it probably deserved.

Previously revisited for the blog:
N.E.W.S. (2003)

No comments:

Post a Comment