Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Beethoven - "Choral" Symphony No. 9, Op. 125 (1983)


Zubin Mehta conducting the New York Philharmonic.

Recorded live in Avery Fisher Hall on February 2, 1983 for a "Live From Lincoln Center" telecast.

This isn't my favorite Beethoven symphony and Mehta isn't my favorite conductor. Still, the second movement is a fun ride. Recording live to digital in 1983 was quite a technological feat and the sound quality is very good here considering that fact. When the vocalists start in the fourth movement, the mix falls apart, but that's a small quibble. The bigger quibble would be the sloppy playing by a first-rate orchestra, but that's Mehta for ya. If I was more fond of this particular work, I'd probably spring for another interpretation.

Stereo Review, February 1984, p. 95

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: If memory serves, I got this CD in a BMG Music Service promotion, which would explain why I couldn't be choosy about the conductor or the live setting. Reportedly, BMG Music Service shut down in 2009, another rip-off, er, business brought down by digital downloads/streaming services.

No comments:

Post a Comment