Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Beethoven - Symphonies No. 5 & No. 7 (1988)


Christoph von Dohnányi conducting the Cleveland Orchestra.

A fantastic recording of my favorite Beethoven symphony, No. 7 (premiered in 1813). Also included on the CD is another Beethoven symphony that seems to have stood the test of time. While this interpretation of No. 5 (premiered in 1808) isn't bold and in-your-face, it is taken at a brisk tempo, which I think suits it. Now that I mention it, both symphonies are taken fairly quick. I like it. The orchestra is technically precise, which is part of Cleveland's trademarked sound. My only complaint would the excessive use of reverb, particularly in No. 7. Liner notes are decent, but nothing spectacular. Still, this is by far my favorite recording of No. 7.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I bought this CD not long after its release at a CD store on Hwy 183 in Irving. In the late '80s, CD stores were a rarity and this particular store, while fairly small compared to a record store of the time, had a separate sound-proof classical music room.

No comments:

Post a Comment