Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Various Artists - Capitol Rare 3: Funky Notes From The West Coast (1999)


EU Import

I'm not sure if this ever got an official US release since all I've ever seen are promo copies from Europe. But no matter, this CD continues the funky tradition begun with volumes one and two, compilation albums that put together some soul-jazz, funk and soul deep album cuts from the vaults over at Capitol/EMI. All three volumes put together by Kevin Beadle (well done, Kev). Music on this compilation was originally released in the years 1969 - 1987; all but 4 of the tracks were originally released in the '70s. By my count, half of the 16 tracks are instrumentals. Overall, not quite as good as Volume 2, but better than Volume 1. I like to throw all three volumes into one big 46 track shuffle mix and let it fly, or if I'm feeling really funky, I'll also include the 91 tracks from the What It Is! box set.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart:  Did not chart

Tracks:
ArtistSongOriginal AlbumYear
Ronnie LawsAlways TherePressure Sensitive1975
Raul de Souza Daisy MaeDon't Ask My Neighbors1978
Dianne ReevesSky IslandsDianne Reeves1987
Maze TwilightToo Many Games 12" single1985
Labi SiffreThe VultureRemember My Song1975
Ike & Tina Turner Game Of LoveWorkin' Together1971
Bobbi HumphreySmiling Faces SometimesDig This1972
Lou Rawls Season Of The WitchThe Way It Was, The Way It Is1969
DorisBeatmakerDid You Give The World Some Love Today Baby1970
Georges Garvarentz Haschisch PartyUn Beau Monstre1970
Robert WatsonReachin' Searchin'Estimated Time Of Arrival1978
Eddie Henderson ButterflyMahal1978
MazeRootsJoy And Pain1980
Barrett Strong Is It TrueStronghold1975
MaxiLover To LoverMaxi1977
David AxelrodThe Signs Pt 1Earth Rot1970


To me, the standout track here is Beatmaker by Doris, a happening 1970 tune from an obscure Swedish pop singer (and yes, I've already ordered the album from which it was taken, the beautifully titled Did You Give The World Some Love Today Baby.) The better (read: funkier) tracks are Always There, Daisy Mae, The Vulture, Reachin' Searchin', and Butterfly. Another of my favorites on the disc is Bobbi Humphrey's cover of Smiling Faces Sometimes which surprises me since I'm typically not a fan of the flute timbre. I'm not wild about the Ike & Tina tune and the Georges Garvarentz soundtrack cut, but I can see why each was included here.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

Previously revisited for the blog:
Capitol Rare: Funky Notes From The West Coast (1999)
Capitol Rare: Funky Notes From The West Coast, Vol. 2 (1999)

1 comment:

  1. Stir the Right On! box set in and any or all of the three disc Funk Drops series up in that groovy gumbo you got going and it's a party on the patio!

    ReplyDelete