Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Various Artists - Hear The Light, Vol. 1 (1984)


EARLY CD WEEK* (APRIL 18-23, 2022)

A 13 track (mostly) rock sampler from PolyGram, perfect for demonstrating the new CD players to young, rockin' yuppie-types.

Billboard, October 20, 1984, p. 76

Title of the disc comes from the fact that a laser was reading the disc instead of a stylus. 9 of the 13 tracks were new to my CD collection.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart
Peak on the CashBox Top CD chart: #20


Tracks:
  1. Jack And Diane - John Cougar, released 1982, #1 pop, #3 rock
    When this song hit, it was an immediate sensation with me and all my friends. We'd listen to it over and over and were particularly fascinated with the simplistic drum solo lifted almost directly from Phil Collins's In the Air Tonight. We didn't care - just give us some hooks! The song is still fairly ubiquitous on classic rock stations so I've grown a little tired of it, but it took 40 years for that to happen.
  2. Far From Over - Frank Stallone, released 1983, #10 pop, #43 dance
    A little nepotizz. I've only seen the movie Stayin' Alive once and that was in late July 1983. I remember it as a completely ridiculous film about the staging of a production of a Broadway musical that this writer found to be a hilarious romp through fantasyland. This top ten tune captures the feeling of that musical perfectly, but is far more enjoyable than the movie itself.
  3. No One Like You - Scorpions, released 1982, #65 pop, #1 rock
    I like this tune and everybody seems to know it even though it didn't crack the top 40. I'm guessing the video was on heavy MTV rotation? A friend of mine bought the Blackout album with the great album cover art. I asked him if he liked it and he sort of shrugged and said, "If you like screamin' solo guitar..."

    And then 35 years later I saw this typo in my favorite diner's jukebox:
  4. Steppin' Out - John Mayall/Eric Clapton, released 1966
    A brief cover of a blues originally released by Memphis Slim in 1959. From the album Blues Breakers with Eric Clapton, an LP which has received multiple honors over the years, including Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time and Colin Larkin's All Time Top 1000 Albums. I prefer more authentic blues.
  5. Joanna - Kool And The Gang, released 1983, #2 pop, #1 R&B, #2 AC
    In the late fall/early winter of 1983, I was briefly interested in a girl named JoAnn. She was a couple of years younger than me and, in her father's opinion, too young to go on a "car date" so that relationship never got off the ground. Other than the similar names, the girl and the song have nothing to do with each other. However, I'm always reminded of JoAnn when I hear this tune. (A couple of years later, DeBarge did something similar with Who's Holding Donna Now). I can't think of any K&TG song I dislike. The trombone solo, the sappy lyrics, the constant eight note electric piano motif - it all works for me.
  6. She's Strange - Cameo, released 1984, #47 pop, #1 R&B
    Not only is this new my CD collection, I don't think I ever heard it prior to purchasing this CD. It's all about groove, not melody. I don't care much for the rapped verse, but I dig the chorus. The version included here is the 7 minute album version, which goes on a bit long for me.
  7. Flashdance...What A Feeling - Irene Cara, released 1983, #1 pop, #4 AC, #1 dance, #2 R&B
    Also on the Flashdance soundtrack and the Pure Disco 2 compilation.
  8. Runaway - Bon Jovi, released 1984, #39 pop, #5 rock
    I've never been much for Bon Jovi although I understand the appeal. In any case, this generic rocker flew under my radar in April '84. 
  9. Stone Cold - Rainbow, released 1982, #40 pop, #1 rock
    The intro feels like a Doors tune to me with the organ licks sounding like something Ray Manzarek would come up with. The chorus is good, but I need the whole thing to rock a little harder. Another rock album with great cover art.
  10. Twilight Zone - Golden Earring, released 1982, #10 pop, #1 rock
    Also on Just Can't Get Enough: New Wave Hits of the '80s, Vol. 6.
  11. Lick It Up - Kiss, released 1983, #66 pop, #19 rock
    It's a landmark day here at blog headquarters as this is the very first Kiss tune to appear in this space. I usually completely dismiss them as a novelty act, but this one ain't too bad, if not repetitive. At the very least, the chorus riff was good enough for Ratt to steal.
  12. Cocaine - Eric Clapton, released 1977
    Also on Timepieces and The Best Of Eric Clapton
  13. Stayin' Alive - Bee Gees, released 1977, #1 pop, #28 AC, #3 dance, #4 R&B
    Also on a Bee Gees hits compilation, the Grumpier Old Men soundtrack, and, of course, the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None


*I recently compiled complete chart data for compact disc charts from both Billboard and CashBox magazines. While doing so, I saw the names of a number of very early sampler/demonstration discs with which I was completely unfamiliar. I found a few early CDs that charted, as well as similar discs from 1983-85, and am featuring those this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment