Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Thursday, December 27, 2018

Various Artists - Grumpier Old Men: Music From The Motion Picture (1995)


This landed on my doorstep earlier this year as part of a multi-CD "care package" from a long-time reader and friend o' the blog. While I vaguely remember the movie (I'll watch anything with Jack Lemmon in it), I have no idea what would be on the soundtrack. I'm guessing oldies. Let's slide this thing into the tray and find out.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks:
  1. (I'll Be Glad When You're Dead) You Rascal You - Louis Jordan and Louis Armstrong. Originally written in 1929, it gained popularity in 1932 when Louis Armstrong recorded it for use in a 1932 Betty Boop cartoon.


    This particular take is from a 1950 recording and it's fun as all get out. The lyrics take the form of threats and complaints leveled against a man who has repaid the singer's hospitality and kindness by running off with the singer's wife. Perfect for the Grumpier Old Men movie.
  2. Hit the Road Jack - Buster Poindexter (alter ego of singer David Johansen). From the 1989 album Buster Goes Berserk. They'd have been better off with the familiar 1961 Ray Charles version, but I'm guessing rights for this version were much cheaper for the producers. Me? I'll pass.
  3. That's Amore - Dean Martin. Martin's signature tune, it's a classic for good reason. The 1953 original recording peaked at #2 on the Billboard chart. I'm guessing it makes an appearance in the film whenever Sophia Loren makes an appearance.
  4. Understand Your Man - Johnny Cash.  From 1964, this single sounds like most of Cash's output in the '60s, which is to say, beautiful in its simplicity.
  5. Venus - Shocking Blue. In 1969-70, this hit #1 in nine countries. And for good reason.
  6. Jump In The Line (Shake, SeƱora) - Harry Belafonte. A classic calypso tune used in many movie soundtracks. I can't help but to do a little chair dancing as I type these words.
  7. Stayin' Alive - Bee Gees. #1 disco tune released in late 1977 on the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack. Last month, my son had this played at his wedding as he made his fateful walk down the aisle. What was the recessional? A string quartet arrangement of Another One Bites The Dust. We had a good time.
  8.  The Chicken Dance - Wally Olson Band. Speaking of weddings, this polka has inexplicably become a reception standard. It usually sends me running straight to the bar.
  9. 'S Wonderful - Les Brown and His Orchestra. Vocals by Doris Day. Tasty version of this Gershwin standard.
  10. Almost Like Being in Love - Nat King Cole. Yes!
  11. I Hear Bells (Wedding Bells) - The Del-Vikings. A fun doo-wop track from '61. Surprised this one isn't used more to soundtrack wedding scenes.
  12. What The Heck - Alan Silvestri. The disc ends with two bits of orchestral music composed for the film. When I read Silvestri's name, I immediately think of his work on CHiPs. This music bears no resemblance to that.
  13. End Titles - Alan Silvestri. See above.
Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment