Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, May 9, 2014

Various Artists - Flashdance: Original Soundtrack from the Motion Picture (1983)


NUMBER ONE ALBUMS WEEK (MAY 5-11, 2014)

I never was much of a fan of the song Flashdance...What A Feeling, so not even an album cover featuring Jennifer Beals' legs could persuade me to buy the movie soundtrack as a teen. But I picked this CD up last week for $2 especially for this theme week.

It's not the best 80's soundtrack I've heard, but it's not the worse, either. Lots of dated synth and undistinguished mediocre writing, which is unusual for Giorgio Moroder (the mediocre writing, not the synth). But since it sold 20 million copies worldwide, I'm obviously in the minority.

Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard Top 200: #1 (2 weeks, June 25 - July 2, 1983)
  • Billboard R&B: #6
  • CashBox: #2
  • Rolling Stone: #2


Tracks: As I suspected, the best song on the soundtrack is Maniac. Moroder's Love Theme isn't too bad; Imagination and Seduce Me Tonight are okay. The rest just isn't doing much for me. I really wanted to like the Donna Summer track, but it seems like they were trying to make her sound like Deborah Harry and is she saying "O chaka o chaka o chaka"?

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Never seen the movie, but I notice that it is streaming on Netflix. If I promise to watch it soon, will you get off my case already? (Update 13 May 2014: watched the movie. Meh. A series of sub-par MTV videos with a big hole where the plot should be. Looks like it was filmed just to sell copies of the soundtrack. Mission accomplished.)

No comments:

Post a Comment