Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Eric Clapton - The Best Of (2004)


This compilation focuses on Clapton's work in the '70s, with 9 solo cuts and 2 tracks from Derek and the Dominoes. Almost, but not quite, a reissue of Clapton's 1982 compilation, Timepieces. The sound is sometimes muddy; I don't think there was any remastering done for this release. All in all, though, this is good enough for a casual Clapton fan like myself.

Tracks: Layla is one of my all-time favorite songs, so it is easily my favorite on this compilation. I also like After Midnight, Wonderful Tonight, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Cocaine, and Bell Bottom Blues. I'll skip Promises and Let It Grow.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: The coda from Layla now reminds me of the movie Goodfellas which was robbed of the Best Picture Oscar in 1990 by Dances With Wolves (ed. note - Dances With Wolves?!? Seriously?). Cocaine (the song, not the drug) reminds me of high school "victory dances" held at the BC Service Center after home football games. It seemed normal, even expected, at the time, but now it seems a strange choice since Cocaine isn't much of a dance song. Any teenagers that were using cocaine in high school wouldn't have been at a victory dance.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Me and Mr. Johnson (2004)

No comments:

Post a Comment