Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, March 21, 2022

James Taylor - Never Die Young (1988)

CD cover

Today I'm in the mood for some JT; that's why I'm playing this thing, after all. Goes down like cotton candy: sweet and pleasant without much to it, but when you crave it, it's perfect. The older I get, the more I enjoy Taylor's songs, probably because middle-aged folks are the target audience for this soft rock. The quality of the material varies greatly and there's none of the usual cover tunes on this album, but it doesn't contain any of the (over-)production tropes of the times and even the occasional fiddle or slide guitar doesn't turn me away from Taylor's calm, relaxing voice that never sounds strained.

Given the 1988 release date and its #5 peak on both the Billboard and CashBox CD charts, I'd wager this one of the first CDs purchased by many consumers to play in their newfangled players.

Nothing against wolves, but I've always had trouble understanding the cover art on this one.

Press of the time:



Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard 200: #25
  • Billboard Pop CD: #5
  • CashBox CD: #5
  • CashBox: #26
  • Rolling Stone: #10


Tracks: Taylor's Top 40 days were behind him by this point, but three singles from this album charted on the Adult Contemporary chart: the title cut (#3), Baby Boom Baby (#16), and Sweet Potato Pie (#37). Along with Valentine's Day, Home By Another Way (a pop tune about the King Herod and the Magi?!), and First Of May, those three singles are among the better tracks. Sun On the Moon can't figure out what kind of song it is and Runaway Boy is a little too country-tinged for this guy. Still, I'll listen to the whole thing without skipping any tracks.



Personal Memory Associated with this CD: After graduating college in December 1988, I moved back in with my parents, started grad school, and worked part-time for the San Antonio Symphony while searching for my first "real" job. To be honest, I spent more time watching VH1 than job hunting that spring. Videos from this album were in heavy rotation on that network around that time.

Regular readers of this blog expecting a 1988 Lost Summer of Mark story in this space will be sorely disappointed as I didn't have pick up this album until well after its release. In fact, this disc was 50¢ thrift store pick up within the last decade.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Greatest Hits 2 (2000)
Hourglass (1997)
Dad Loves His Work (1981)
Greatest Hits (1976)

No comments:

Post a Comment