Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Sunday, February 19, 2012

James Taylor - Greatest Hits 2 (2000)


GREATEST HITS FORTNIGHT (FEBRUARY 6-19, 2012)

Even though this is more of a "best of" compilation than a greatest hits CD (only 4 of the 16 tracks cracked the Top 40), it's still a good overview of Taylor's career from 1977-1997. There's not many artists who can release 2 completely different greatest hits albums 24 years apart. Those that don't like adult contemporary music need not bother, but I've always enjoyed listening to Taylor's voice. In spite of his battles with depression and addiction, he's aged gracefully and in that regard should probably be grouped with singer/songwriters like Kenny Loggins and Michael McDonald.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #97

Tracks: My favorites here include Your Smiling Face, That's Why I'm Here, Only A Dream In Rio, Never Die Young, and the covers of The Drifters' Up On The Roof and Buddy Holly's Everyday. It's one of those things I can't explain, but I just can't stand Taylor's 1977 hit, Handy Man. I've never liked that song.

SongYearHot 100AC
Secret Of Life1977--
Handy Man197741
Your Smiling Face1977206
Up On The Roof1979287
Her Town Too1981115
That's Why I'm Here1985-8
Only A Dream In Rio1985--
Everyday1985613
Song For You Far Away1985--
Never Die Young1988803
(I've Got To) Stop Thinkin' 'Bout That1991-28
Copperline1991-13
Shed A Little Light1993--
Another Day1997--
Little More Time With You1997-3
Enough To Be On Your Way1997--

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: a few brief memories today: 1) I bought this CD very soon after it was released at the then-new Best Buy on the SW Fwy in Sugar Land, 2) When Up On The Roof was being played regularly on the radio in 1979, I had a strong desire to climb on the roof of my family's house at night and stargaze (that never happened), and 3) the song Your Smiling Face was included on the soundtrack to the 1978 movie FM ("A now movie with now music!"). Some junior high friends who lived down the street had that soundtrack (which is better than most '70s music compilations you'll find) and we would listen to it at their house. Even though that soundtrack has 20 tracks, it is usually that JT track that makes me think of those good times.


Previously revisited for the blog:
Greatest Hits (1976)

No comments:

Post a Comment