Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Boston - Greatest Hits (1997)


GREATEST HITS FORTNIGHT (FEBRUARY 6-19, 2012)

Most Boston music sounds the same and that's fine if you like that music (and I do). Great writing guitar playing by Tom Scholz and incredible singing from the late Brad Delp, who had one of the best rock voices in history. I know there's lots of drama and infighting in the band's history and I could care less. Growing up in the '70s, these songs were all over the radio. All these years later, these songs are still getting their fair share of playing time on the classic rock stations. Since they didn't include We're Ready, the only song I liked from the band's third album, I probably would have been better off just buying the group's first two albums instead.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #47 (June 21, 1997)

Tracks: There are three new tracks (four if you count both versions of Higher Power) and none are any good. The best songs are the ones you've heard many, many times: More Than A Feeling, Peace Of Mind, Don't Look Back, Party, Foreplay/Long Time, Rock & Roll Band, and Smokin'. I'm really not interested in much of the later stuff, including Livin' For You and Amanda. The completely unnecessary rendition of the Star-Spangled Banner offends me both as a musician and as a US citizen.

SongYearHot 100
Tell Me1997-
Higher Power1997-
More Than A Feeling19765
Peace Of Mind197738
Don't Look Back19784
Cool The Engines1986-
Livin' For You1994-
Feelin' Satisfied197946
Party1978-
Foreplay/Long Time197722
Amanda19861
Rock & Roll Band1976-
Smokin'1976-
A Man I'll Never Be197831
Star-Spangled Banner/4th Of July1994-
Higher Power (Kalodner Edit)1997-

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Anytime I hear Boston music, I'm back in Odessa in the '70s: Winwood Mall, UTPB, summers at the country club pool, Permian football games, the Ector movie theater, etc. The picture below is of my childhood home, taken in August 1978, weeks before my family moved from West Texas to the Gulf Coast. That's my mother's 1975 Pontiac Catalina in the carport.



No comments:

Post a Comment