Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, February 18, 2022

Yellowjackets- Samurai Samba (1985)


Note: this release was originally purchased as a LP, later replaced by a CD.

The band's third album, their first with saxophonist Marc Russo (formerly of Tower of Power) and their final album with producer Tommy LiPuma. For many years, I didn't replace my vinyl copy of this album with a CD because - in my fading memories - I didn't care much for the thing. But after picking up this CD from the used bin, I gave it a spin and was immediately able to sing/hum/burble along with the whole album. I had a similar experience with the band's CD Shades. It's no Mirage à Trois (my fave YJ album), but it's pretty darn good.

The review in Billboard stated that the album "could yield the crossover payoff they've waited for." Alas, 'twas not to be, but when you listen, you could tell they were really trying to achieve more commercial success with this one. Heck, they even brought in Bobby Caldwell to sing Lonely Weekend, an unabashed pop tune. And, because it was the mid-'80s, they released a promo 12" dance single for track 2, Deat Beat, with remix by Eric E.T. Thorngren. I recently came across a copy of said vinyl and uploaded it for your listening pleasure:


Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard Top 200: #179
  • Billboard Jazz: #10
  • CashBox: #141
  • CashBox Jazz: #3

Tracks: In addition to the aforementioned Lonely Weekend, my top picks today are Homecoming, Daddy's Gonna Miss You, and Silverlake.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Purchased during the spring semester of my freshman year of college, the album reminds me of my drafty dorm room in Berry Hall and spinning this LP on the Fisher stereo my parents gave me to celebrate my graduation from high school. I lived in various rooms in Berry Hall over 5 semesters. It was built in 1964 and finally closed in 2017. I haven't been back to visit since 2013 but from what I hear, the buildings are now used for storage.

Commerce, Texas

Previously revisited for the blog:
Collection (1995)
Like A River (1993)
Greenhouse (1991)
Politics (1988)
Shades (1986)
Mirage à Trois (1983)
Yellowjackets (1981)

No comments:

Post a Comment