Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this middle-aged man as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. CDs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no downloads. And just as CD technology (and the album format itself) becomes obsolete. I'm no music critic, just a music junkie with too much time on my hands.

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Yellowjackets - Shades (1986)


Note: this release was originally purchased as an LP, later replaced by a CD.

Back in April, I listened to Steve Winwood's Back In The High Life CD, and the memories came flooding back from 1986.  I listed this Yellowjackets CD in that post and immediately located purchased a used copy of the CD.  I thought I'd remember a few tunes.  Turns out that I must have listened to the crap out of this thing during the summer of '86 because I was singing/humming along with every darn track and vocalizing every darn solo.  My second favorite Yellowjackets disc to Mirage à Trois, this one is slightly different: Mirage's melodies were synth-driven whereas Shades is led by alto sax, often doubled by bass.  Glad I picked this one up (again) - what took me so long?!?

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #195
Peak on Billboard's Jazz LPs chart: #4

Tracks:  The high energy lead track, And You Know That, is worth the price of admission (it also won a Grammy award for Best R&B Instrumental Performance).  Revelation runs a close second. Also good are One Family and Oasis.  The final two tracks were new to me as they didn't appear on the vinyl release; both are good.  Why they would cut the Donald Fagen-penned title track of the album for the vinyl release is beyond me.  And it's a good track to boot.  Go figure.  In any case, I don't skip any tracks.


Personal Memory Associated with this CD:  Same as Back In The High Life.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Collection (1995)
Like A River (1993)
Greenhouse (1991)
Politics (1988) 
Mirage à Trois (1983)

No comments:

Post a Comment