Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, July 10, 2021

Yellowjackets (1981)


Note: the CD I listened to was the 2003 Rhino release with 4 bonus tracks

"The Yellowjackets's self-titled debut...announced the arrival of a formidable new unit on the contemporary music scene. ...Yellowjackets blended elements of funk, jazz, gospel, and blues into a refreshing new take on fusion."
-from Bill Milkowski's CD liner notes (bonus points for that Oxford comma)

A digital recording - not a common occurrence in '81. That fact, plus production from Tommy LiPuma should tell you exactly how this thing sounds: clean, clear, fantastic. That reminds me, I still need to pick up that LiPuma biography.

I first heard Yellowjackets in either late '83 or early '84 when one of my school band directors lent me his copy of Mirage à Trois, which I promptly dubbed to a cassette. I was just discovering contemporary jazz at the time, I loved the synth- and guitar-driven instrumentals of the Mirage album, so when I found somebody who had this debut album, I promptly dubbed that one to a cassette as well. I got rid of most of my cassettes in the early aughts, so I eventually replaced the music on those cassettes with CDs.

In 1981, the band was listed as a trio: keyboardist Russell Ferrante (still leading the band as of this writing), bass guitarist Jimmy Haslip (left the band in 2012), and drummer Ricky Lawson (left the band in 1987, died 2013). The group was put together by guitarist Robben Ford to support him in studio as he recorded his 1979 solo album, The Inside Story (memo to self: give that album a listen). With playing and writing support from de facto member Ford, the band recorded some demos, got a contract, and the recording began with LiPuma at the board.

Ford formerly played with Tom Scott and the LA Express, so there's some of that sound here along with a few nods to The Brecker Brothers. And though the solos in these pieces are great, the writing is more melodic than much fusion of the time. That may come from Ferrante writing for/working with pop/jazz/AC crossover artists like Marilyn Scott, Al Jarreau, and Michael Franks. Speaking of solos, the band gets some tasty guest solos on this album from the likes of Ernie Watts, Bobby Lyle, and Jerry Hey.

I'll readily admit I haven't heard all 25+ releases from the band, but after Mirage à Trois and Shades, this is my third favorite effort of theirs. I wish I'd been handed a copy back in '81.

Press of the time:
  • Billboard: "could become an across the board smash"
  • CashBox: "light but satisfying fusion"


Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard 200: 'bubbled under' at #201
  • Billboard Jazz: #16
  • CashBox Jazz: #25

Tracks: While I wouldn't skip any of the 7 tracks here, my favorites are Matinee Idol, Sittin' In It, and Priscilla.

Bonus tracks: If a little bit is good, more must be better. Based on previous posts, longtime readers of this here blog probably won't believe I'm actually writing these words, but the four bonus tracks here are all demos and they're all fantastic and highly enjoyable, particularly the Jeff Beck-like, slow groove track, Flat Tire. It's a safe bet that these bonus tracks made up the "digitally recorded demo that landed them a recording contract with Warner Bros. Records" as mentioned on the back of the 1987 CD release's longbox:

Exclusive CD longbox photos courtesy of
Dirk Digglinator of the Hambonian Archives.
click images to enlarge.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: This album sends me back to my freshman year in college, so I'm guessing that's where I found somebody with a Lp to dub. So maybe late 1984 from a fraternity brother?

When I saw Jeff Lorber perform in 2019, original Yellowjackets bassist Jimmy Haslip played in the band so of course I kept hoping they'd break out at least one Yellowjackets song, but Lorber had over 40 years of material to draw on, plus a new album to promote, so that didn't happen. And even though I consider myself a longtime Yellowjackets fan, it wasn't until that night I learned Haslip - who is both self-taught and left-handed - plays a right-handed bass flipped upside down but not restrung. It's a fascinating thing to watch him play.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Collection (1995)
Like A River (1993)
Greenhouse (1991)
Politics (1988)
Shades (1986)
Mirage à Trois (1983)

No comments:

Post a Comment