Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, December 4, 2021

New Order - Movement (1981)


German Import

I originally thought this album is Joy Division simply trying to find their way after the death of Ian Curtis. But then I heard bassist Peter Hook describe the album as "Joy Division music with New Order vocals" and his description is better than mine, so here you go:
So one could make the argument that Power, Corruption & Lies the first true New Order album and I'm okay with that.

My copy, a 2000 import reissue, has no liner notes and no bonus tracks.

Press of the time:
  • Smash Hits (8 out of 10 - review by future Pet Shop Boy Neil Tennant): "electronic but human (even romantic!)"
  • Billboard: "brooding, dark and slightly unnerving"
  • Trouser Press: "superior mood music"
  • Robert Christgau: (B+): "Very atmospheric--the spaceship as sepulcher, with a beat."
  • Record Mirror (★★★★): "a spell-binding record"

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: Of the 8 tracks here, my top picks are Dreams Never End, Senses, and Chosen Time which all at least give a hint of what was to come from the group.


Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Unfortunately, I may have made a memory just this week. As I was listening to this disc, I grabbed my sophomore yearbook ('81-'82) off the shelf and mindlessly started flipping through pages. I visited my hometown last month for a funeral and, though it has been demolished for a few years, I finally saw firsthand that the high school building where I attended classes was nothing more than a grass field situated next to the brand new facility that had taken its place. Granted, the building I remember was built in 1949 and a dump even when I was in school, but just the fact that it was gone got to me. Looking through the yearbook and seeing interior and exterior pictures of the building, classrooms, gyms, etc. - soundtracked by this Joy Division-ish music - was depressing as hell. And then I started noticing photographs of students and teachers who are no longer with us and that did me in completely. Needless to say, I have sworn off both this album and high school yearbooks for a while, possibly a good, long while.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Waiting For The Sirens' Call (2005)
Get Ready (2001)
(the best of) New Order (1995)
(the rest of) New Order (1995)
Republic© (1993)
Bizarre Love Triangle (1986)
Brotherhood (1986)

No comments:

Post a Comment