Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, April 21, 2017

Genesis - Invisible Touch (1986)


Note: this release was originally purchased as a cassette tape, later replaced by a CD

A hugely popular album in which 5 of its 8 tracks were top 5 pop hits, including the group's only US #1 hit, the title track. I played the heck outta my cassette in '86, so when I recently saw this CD in a used bin, I thought I'd pick it up to remind myself of the other three tracks. Plus, it's a great road trip album and I've been on the road a bit more than usual of late.

Patrick Bateman calls the album the group's "undisputed masterpiece." (NSFW)

On a side note, that's one of the worst album cover designs ever put out by Assorted iMaGes. And it got worse...

Billboard, June 6, 1987
click to enlarge

Press of the time:
  • Rolling Stone: "every tune is carefully pruned so that each flourish delivers not an instrumental epiphany but a solid hook."
  • Robert Christgau (C+): "in the end I couldn't tolerate the generalization density"
  • Smash Hits (5 out of 10): "sounds like a collection of theme tunes from boring American TV programmes."
  • Stereo Review: "a better title would have been 'Invisible Content.'"
  • Los Angeles Times: "Maybe the record was made to provide material for the next season of 'Miami Vice.'"

Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard Top 200: #3
  • Billboard Pop CD: #1
  • CashBox: #2
  • CashBox CD: #1
  • Rolling Stone: #1

Tracks:
SongHot 100AC Rock
Invisible Touch131
Throwing It All Away 411
Land of Confusion     4
11
Tonight, Tonight, Tonight 389
In Too Deep     3134

While the singles are more like Phil Collins' solo stuff (particularly In Too Deep), there are a few times when the group's prog-rock beginnings* are allowed to peep through on songs like Domino. Also, I had forgotten than Tonight, Tonight, Tonight was actually a 9 minute cut with an extended middle section edited out in the single version. I also forgot how much I liked the album closer, an Miami Vice soundtrackish instrumental titled The Brazilian.



Personal Memory Associated with this CD: see this previous post. I suppose I found much refuge in the music of 1986 because my job was so terrible. Still, I wouldn't trade that summer for anything.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Turn It On Again: The Hits - The Tour Edition (2007)
Duke (1980)

*I want credit for not using the phrase "the group's prog-rock genesis"

No comments:

Post a Comment