Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

John Mayer Trio - Try! (2005)


John Mayer has a lot of talent, but he's got the same problem that many creative types have: a lack of focus. He wants to be a pop star, stand-up comedian, writer, hell for all I know he's a painter and sculptor, too. Here, Mayer wants to be a blues artist. He's got the chops to do it and he's backed by a couple of stellar studio artists; they make a great power trio. I guess he's earned a little self-indulgence. This is a good album (a great live album), and I can appreciate Mayer's skills and what he's trying to do here, but I just would really prefer if he'd make the popish stuff that he was first known for. But that's just me (and I readily admit that I may be more than a little jealous of the boy's talent and, more importantly, his dating scorecard).

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #34

Tracks:  There's not much middle ground or gray area. Like most Mayer albums, the good stuff is really good but the rest is easily skippable, particularly the butchering of Ray Charles' I Got A Woman. The good tunes here are Who Did You Think I Was, Good Love Is On The Way, and the sorta reworked songs from previous Mayer albums, Gravity and Daughters.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None


Previously revisited for the blog:
Where The Light Is: Live In Los Angeles (2008)
Continuum (2006)
Heavier Things (2003)
Room For Squares (2001)

No comments:

Post a Comment